AG Millet Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mloster

Reaction score
This is my first post in a long while since I haven’t brewed in a few years. Anyway, I took a gander at a basic pale ale. This is adapted from Edwort’s Haus Pale Ale

Ingredients
Grains
4.75 lb Red Millet Malt
1.0 lb Malted Buckwheat
0.5 lb Munich Millet Malt
0.25 lb Crystal Millet Malt
1.0 lb Rice Hulls

Hops
0.5 oz Cascade (US) 60 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
0.25 oz Cascade (US) 30 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
0.13 oz Cascade (US) 15 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
0.13 oz Cascade (US) 5 min Boil Pellet 7.0%

Yeast
Safale US-05

Mash

Strike grains with 3 gal of water at 169.3 °F.
Mash at 158°F for 120 min. Added 2.5 tsp diastase. Temperature probably dropped to 153 or so. Reheated to 158 after 1 hour.
Vorlauf and lauter ~2 gal first runnings.
Add 1.9 gal of sparge water at 168 °F.
Vorlauf and lauter 1.8 gal in second runnings.
Combined runnings of be 3.8 gal.
Boiled water for 15 minutes to get a smaller beginning volume, around 3.5 gallons.

Notes

OG 1.04 @ 2.6 gallons

The brew day was smooth, long but smooth. My only question/ concern is the amount of trub. I fear that it's too much starch/ trub already, and I'll lose half my batch. Anybody have thoughts on this? Did I not convert enough of the grain by trying to do a single infusion?

As to the wort, it tasted sweet and hoppy.

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

These grains do produce a lot of trub but it will pack down and you will get plenty of beer off of it. You might consider getting a BetterBottle so you can ferment in a single vessel. You will lose a little extra racking off of three.

Looks like a good solid recipe. Let us know how it goes the rest of the way!

Good to hear. It looks like the initial trub has packed down like you said. It's fermenting away.

And as to the single vessel, I'm planning on getting a 3 gallon carboy since most of my batches will be limited to <3 gallons.

I'll give updates along the way.

IMG_0243.jpg

Consider getting a 5 gallon primary big mouth bubbler for your 3 gallon batches and a 3 gallon regular better bottle for the secondary if you use a secondary.
All grain batches can have violent fermentation and you want plenty of head space or a good open blowoff tube.

The gluten free malts do create a lot of trub but one thing that I have found to reduce trub is to use a hop sock, or better yet a hop spider.

I built a simple hop spider from a PVC reducer and some 6" stainless steel bolts and nuts. There's a how to on here somehow, maybe $10 of parts from hardware store and its really been a great addition to my setup.

If you do Pales or IPAs like me, you can get a lot of hops in there and you don't need that sediment moving from kettle into primary and downstream from there.

Bottled the beer today. FG was ~1.007. Most of the trub settled out though there was still 1/2 gallon or so at the end of the day. I ended up getting 20 12 oz bottles.

The taste was surprisingly good. The malted millet makes for a great base. It seems like it'll be an easy drinking beer.

IMG_0254.jpg

Last update:
Appearance- golden. slightly hazy
Smell- Sweet with light hop aroma
Taste- slightly sweet despite the FG. Hops are prominent but not overpowering. I'd like it a little drier.
Mouthfeel- Not thin at all! Plenty of body.
Overall- easy drinking. Light.
7/10 overall score. I'd like a light, crisper pale ale. Hops were enjoyable, so I would change them going forward.

IMG_0289.jpg

Back