Hefeweizen IV (WLP 380), Belgian(WLP550)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curbdawg

Reaction score
So I did 2 6gallon batches. One with White Labs Hefeweizen (wlp380) and the other with Belgian (wlp550). I bottled the Belgian today, OG=1.066, FG= 1.010 (cold crashed). I had actually let the Belgain go all the way dry then added 2 16oz cans of apple concentrate. Its good, a little tart on 1st sip but very mellow/ dry after. It has a light sweet apple taste to it. I believe over time this one will work well.

The Hefeweizen has been a slow worker, I had temps @ 70 for a good week during primary which I moved to around 60-65 for the rest of the primary. I then racked and stuck in my basement temps between 50-55. When I racked I topped off with a bottle of cider I made 2 years ago( very sweet), a bottle of Woodchuck I had in the fridge and one can of apple concentrate. OG= 1.066 and the SG now is 1.012. This stuff is AWESOME!!. It smells fruity almost candyish. It tastes like i'd say Pears, and Apriocots. I'm going to let it work for another week then bottle. I'd like to crash it now and bottle but I don't have the time now after doing one. I need to clean more bottles anyway.

Point of my story is that the White Labs Hefeweizen IV is amazing. Now i'm not sure if its more of what I did compared to the yeast itself, but compared to the Belgian it was about the same. Same cider, same sugar, same OG, same FG

Latest posts

Back