NIST Certified Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I did some searching and found some great threads. But I wanted to verify something I couldn't nail down:

If a Lab Thermometer is NIST Certified-- does that mean it is guaranteed to be and STAY calibrated?

I really want to zone in my thermometers, but before spending $40 on a lab thermo, I want to be sure that it will be reliable into the future.

Thanks guys! :mug:

I work as Lab Supervisor for a Wastewater Treament Plant. Just because the thermometer is NIST certified does not mean it will hold the calbiration forever. We send our thermometers out ever year for this certification, big bucks. You have paid them to say it calibrated correctly. Buy a good thermometer with a calibration screw and calibrate it in boiling water. (212 degrees)

I work as Lab Supervisor for a Wastewater Treament Plant. Just because the thermometer is NIST certified does not mean it will hold the calbiration forever. We send our thermometers out ever year for this certification, big bucks. You have paid them to say it calibrated correctly. Buy a good thermometer with a calibration screw and calibrate it in boiling water. (212 degrees)

Can water reach over 212 or will it sit at 212? For instance, if I put it on the stove...do i need to calibrate right at boiling point?

Back