Irish moss - loss of body?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onelegout

Reaction score
Ok,
Don't panic, I haven't lost my body; I know you were all thinking 'how on earth is he typing this without any arms?!'.

Nope, I'm fine, but my beer is a little.... lacking in substance.

I've brewed 10 gallons of an ordinary bitter, and 10 gallons of a slightly darker bitter. Both were OG of 1.047. I used a large teaspoon of irish moss 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

The problem is, that the beer seems a lot more 'watery' than my last batches - granted my last batches were like 7% ABV but still, it feels as if something is missing - I drink a lot of real ale, and it doesn't seem as satisfying to drink as usual; it seems as though it's been watered down :S

My question is, if I added too much irish moss, would that have caused this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Oneleg.

P.S. On the plus side, it's crystal clear and looks delicious!

Sorry I should have probably stated - These were extract brews (my last all-grain brew was so full of diacetyl it was undrinkable even after waiting a month, so I'm back to extract again! :D)

Are these bottled/kegged yet?

If not don't judge them until they are carbed/conditioned. I bet you'll have a different opinion then.

Back