Dropped my cell phone into Boiling Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamkul

Reaction score
So I was taking a picture of the wort and I accidentally dropped my cell phone into the boiling wort. I quickly got it out within 10-20 seconds with some thongs.

Do you think my beer is fine? I am worried about any chemicals that may have seeped into it.

Yea I know stupid move :(

My guess would be that your beer is fine... you have to try pretty hard to mess it up. Your cell phone, on the other hand, is probably a different story.

I quickly got it out within 10-20 seconds with some thongs.

:(

I'll bet that hurt....:D

Sorry man...couldn't resist. I'd take the word of others on here......If they say it'll be fine, then chances are more than likely you have nothing to worry about except the phone.

Every time you make a call... mmm the heavenly aroma. TS might be on to something here. I'll be dropping my phone in my wort the next time I brew.

PS - Beer should be just fine.

I think it's funny that our immediate reaction seems to be "Did I ruin my beer?" instead of "Oh crap, I just ruined an expensive piece of electronics"

Don't drink your phone it might be infec...wait...no,
Don't talk on your beer, it might be infec....wait...no...

**** it. the beer is fine; how's the phone?
:)

2nd thought: Call it an 'adjunct', right? Just make sure you put it in a grain bag.

PS: Currently how many bars of reception is getting?

:off: On a side note, if you ever drop your cell phone into liquid like your wort or a sink or WHATEVER (I don't want to think about what else it can be dropped in) immediately soak it in rubbing alcohol!!!

The rubbing alcohol takes the place of the H20 and will evaporate a LOT sooner (hopefully) before your electronics have time to release their magic blue smoke! :ban:

I've not heard of this "Steeping specialty electronics" technique before. ;)

Gives new meaning to the phrase; "Drunk Dialing".

"Honestly Honey, I am not cheating on you. I drop my phone in the beer wort and now all it dials is my old girlfriends"

Brewing notes:

The verizon now network does not work inside a brew kettle filled with boiling wort.

FWIW, the Verizon now network doesn't work when the phone falls down the ice fishing hole either...:drunk:

And the phone is tougher to retrieve!

Depending on the depth, impossible....

FWIW, the Verizon now network doesn't work when the phone falls down the ice fishing hole either...:drunk:

And the phone is tougher to retrieve!

Depending on the depth, impossible....
You mean you don't have any experience snagging.:mug:

Its not the tough to retrieve a phone down an ice fishing hole, just need a bigger "thongs"

-ha ha ha

It's the best thing that could happen to a fooking cell phone and the beer will be fine.

I'm having a hard time trying to understand the problem here. :)

Back