First time using Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeJ

Reaction score
I firmly smacked the package to break the nutirent pack inside and the whole thing exploded. I said F-it and pitched what was left over. If it doesnt fire off in a day or so then I guess ill try and repitch with something different.

Any other similar stories?

The key is to locate the inner pocket with your fingers and isolate it in the corner of the pouch, then lightly clap your hand at the location right below your knuckles striking the pocket. It doesn't need a lot of force. You can even break the pocket with your thumb and index finger pressing it together.

LOL, yeah I did all that but based on the info I got I thought the inner pack was a little harder to bust than what it was.

first time i used wyeast i located the inner pouch, smacked lightly but firmly, felt something break... but i could still feel the pouch inside! drove me nuts, i kept playing with it for 10 mins like an ADD cat (wait, aren't all cats ADD?), then gave up and just left it out on the counter. the pouch puffed up just fine.

turns out my smack-pack had two nutrient pouches inside it. so i burst one, but could still feel the second one.

I just got yelled at because apparently there was yeast overspray all over the side of one of the cabinets and wall that I missed trying to clean the mess up.

Back