1st time kegging, forced carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron_city_ap

Reaction score
I just want to make extra sure I know what I'm doing here.

I have the keg filled (Sunset Wheat clone), in the fridge (40 F), and under pressure (21 psi). I got the pressure/temp setting from this chart. Now, do I leave the beer at 21 psi for the next week or two and then when I go to drink it, I lower the pressure to something around 5, or do I lower it to the carb level of 3, or keep it at 21 (which I'm seriously doubting, but want to be extra sure). Thanks guys.

If your system is balanced properly, you don't change the pressure. That's a very high carb level, though, so you may need some very long beerlines to pour it without foam. Probably about 12' or so, at least.

My system is 12 psi at 40 degrees, for almost all beer styles. I like it, and don't ever have to adjust the regulator.

I just have the standard 6' lines. What would be the best way to correct for the foam? Should I correct it now by lowering the pressure, or should I wait? Obviously, sounds like I'll be spending a little more for longer lines at some point soon.

I just have the standard 6' lines. What would be the best way to correct for the foam? Should I correct it now by lowering the pressure, or should I wait? Obviously, sounds like I'll be spending a little more for longer lines at some point soon.

Well, if you leave it at 21 psi for about three days, and then purge and reset to 10 psi, you should be ok. You'll not have a super fizzy beer, as it'll lose some of the carbonation, but you shouldn't have huge foaming issues.

Longer lines are almost always a good idea, since the only disadvantage is a slower pour, no matter what the psi. I have some 8' lines, but the 10' ones are better.

Thanks Yooper. Whatever gets me close to what I 'should' have is cool with me. I just entered the info into this calculator, and its giving me 22.5 psi. I'm guessing they all assume 10-12' lines. If it helps, here is the setup I have. So, drop it to 10 after a couple days. That's the new official plan. I trust your opinion/experience/expertise here. Since you said it won't be super fizzy and a wheat should have a little higher CO2 volume, should I go with 12psi and then make adjustments down if I'm getting too much foam, or is it easier/better to go up in pressure if I'm not getting enough fizz?

Its not happening today, but if I ran out to HD or Menards, could I pick up the line there, or is that stuff a bad idea for using as beer lines? I use it for syphoning and everything else and so far no issues.

i have the party taps with 6' beer line. what i do is, bring the pressure down to about 5psi, purge the keg, give it a few seconds then pour. Yooper has a good idea, since i just picked up some faucets, i'm going to go with longer beer lines, so i wont have to purge anymore.

I had 5' line and used to have the psi "around 10 to 18" had foam issues. Now have 10" lines and am very mindful to be spot on for my psi at 12. Nice slow pours now, no foam and great carbonation. The 10' lines and strict psi management cured my issues.

Thanks for the responses. 10' is definately in the future. Any comments/recomendations on the Home Depot type 'generic' lines or should I get lines from a homebrew supplier?

Thanks Yooper. Whatever gets me close to what I 'should' have is cool with me. I just entered the info into this calculator, and its giving me 22.5 psi. I'm guessing they all assume 10-12' lines.

I made the Belgian Blond out of Brewing Classic Styles a while back, and it says to carbonate to something ridiculous like 4.5 volumes. I remember it came to 30PSI after doing the calculations. I bought 14 feet of beer line and it still came out of the keg like a goddam rocket, filling the glass with pure foam. I ended up dialing down to something like 15 PSI and just lived with carbonation not being quite "to style".

Not sure what my point is, other than you will need a truckload of beer line if you intend to serve at high PSI levels :)

Just want to make sure that I got it right... the beer line is the only part that matters not the CO2 Line right? I love the stuff I learn reading this forum!

Just a quick update... I went with 12 psi and other than the 1st glass being foamy, it pours great. That 1st keg has ester issues with the beer itself, but I know what happened with that. Keg #2 is at 11 psi and coming along very nicely. Thanks for the info.

Back