Brewcraft Breiss Malt question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sediment

Reaction score
I have a bag of Breiss Brewcraft Crystal Malt. It's airsealed and on the back it says,"This grain will impart is character without mashing." From this I'm assuming I don't have to run a rolling pin over the malt to break it up, and it does look like the husks are cracked.

Anyone have experience with this precracked malt? Do you find it necessary to grind it up despite the instructions?

Mashing does not mean crushing. Mashing is the process of converting the starches in the grain to sugar. Specialty malts like Crystal malt are used only to add color and flavor, and do not have to be part of the mash. They can either be mashed or just steeped before the boil. All your grains will need to be crushed prior to brewing.

Mashing does not mean crushing. Mashing is the process of converting the starches in the grain to sugar. Specialty malts like Crystal malt are used only to add color and flavor, and do not have to be part of the mash. They can either be mashed or just steeped before the boil. All your grains will need to be crushed prior to brewing.

Gratz. I think that was my problem; not understanding the terminology well enough. My initial thought was I could toss these grains in and go from reading the back of the package. Not so. Thanks again and to RICLARK as well.:mug:

Back