fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idkid

Reaction score
i recently received one of the mr beer recipe kits as a gift so i decided to make it...the classic american light i believe...i decided to be experimental and add a cup of clover honey and two cups of regular table sugar (just being experimental i guess)...it has now been in my mr beer keg for 13 days and i don't see much "action" taking place....i'm concerned about some "floaties" on top of the beer...its hard to tell even their color because of the dark brown keg, but just look like little particles...is it likely that these are merely hop particles or possibly small yeast colonies floating around...or is it more likely contaminated due to a sanitation mistake...i am fully drawn into the homebrewing thing now and have purchased a better set up for me, but i still want to use the mr beer stuff for small projects...should i go ahead and bottle or wait??

If you are moving away from standard ingredients and set recipes you need to buy an hydrometer. it's the ONLY way to know if a brew if done. Honey can take a long time to ferment out. You do realise that bottling a brew too early can cause bottles to explode. PET bottles can take more pressure than glass but you can end up with gushers that are impossible to pour.

Your beer will probably be fine.

yeah...i have those instruments...i guess i was more concerned with the floating particles on top...hmmm...i'll try the hydrometer and see what happens...

another question for you...i used the hydrometer and got a reading which i converted with john palmer's conversation table...my gravity reading was ~1.019...what do you think?

Back