I've got my first meeting tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got my first meeting tonight

No not the AA, that's for quiters.
I'm gonna meet the local CAMRA group.(CAMpaign for Real Ale)

From what I can tell one of the things they are trying to do is to get pubs to realise Keg beer can be good but it is not real ale.

I wonder how many of them are homebrewers.

I went to the website of that group once. They'll convince you that the only real ale is kept in wooden casks in the cellar and pumped to the tap by beer engines. That just sounds cool ! I was busily digging a cellar when I realized that I live at sea level.
With the way you're going, Orfy boy, I wouldn't be surprised to see an oak cask in one of your future brew sessions. Keep it up !

my favorite local brewpub has a couple cask (firkin) ales. they have one cask and switch out the beer types that are in it whenever they run out. its pulled from a beer engine and served at 55 degrees i think. right ow the IPA is in there. Its a real treat to get to drink a real ale like this. the temp is perfect, there is only natural carbonation, and the tastes really come out when served this way. The other cool part is that the tastes change considerably over time. i go in and grab a sampler of the firkin ale whenever i pass by just to see how its tasting at that moment in time.

the Ginger Man Pub in Houston always has Saint Arnold's on cask (Amber Ale) w/ a beer engine. i got an e-mail today that they will have their IPA on cask w/Cascade dry hoped in the cask! can't wait to have a pint or two of those!!!!!!

You can serve real ale from a keg. It's just supposed to be naturaly primed and conditioned. No forced carbonation and served by gravity or a beer engine. It means once it's on it needs to be drank asap and looked after correctly. That's why alot of pubs wont do it. It takes skill or experience to look after and a fast turn over.
I'm lucky I live 2 miles from the CAMRA pub of the year 2005 (regonal I think)
They always have 6 good beers on and I've never seen the same one on on my next visit.

Since joining Camra it is now my obligation to taste all these beers and report back for the good of the members. (See how selfless I am.) :D :drunk:

orfy said:
You can serve real ale from a keg. It's just supposed to be naturaly primed and conditioned. No forced carbonation and served by gravity or a beer engine. It means once it's on it needs to be drank asap and looked after correctly. That's why alot of pubs wont do it. It takes skill or experience to look after and a fast turn over.
They always have 6 good beers on and I've never seen the same one on on my next visit.

Since joining Camra it is now my obligation to taste all these beers and report back for the good of the members. (See how selfless I am.) :D :drunk:
it's a dirty job orfy, but somebody has to do it!:)
the casks that Saint Arnold's does are primed in the keg, and served from a cool beer engine. i close my eyes and dream of being somewhere other than Houston whe ni sip on a pint:drunk:

orfy said:

It's good to know we have someone with your qualifications on the job.
What is the proper time frame for drinking a keg done in that fashion ? Iguess " as soon as possible" would work, but is a couple of weeks in the keg OK ?

I don't think I'd crack an air fed keg if I wasn't going to finish it in a session.
I'm not up on cellarmanship.

That's why I feed my kegs CO2/Nitrogen. I can't finish a keg that quick.

I could see five gallons in a night being an issue. I didn't know if it would be a problem with a gravity fed keg. I'd think that the only air to get to it would be through the tap. Guess air has to get in somewhere for beer to come out.

If you drink it slow (a pint or 2 a night) enough co2 should fill the dead space if it's not vented (up to a point) otherwise you have to vent it then it can go stale if it's not drank in a day or so.

Let me get this straight..... Drink it slow down to a certain point, then drink the rest fast ? I can see the part about co2 filling the headspace. Maybe 3 gallons in a five gallon keg might cover it ? Then drink the last 3 gallons in a session( with help) ? Don't know if I'm up to that. Sure would be fun trying, though.:drunk: :drunk: :eek:

Back