Didn't hit my gravity, .01 off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrbrownfolks

Reaction score
I made a recipe that was supposed to have a 1.062 OG and I came up to a 1.052. I know I had some efficiency problems to correct next time. Will a difference in that much gravity greatly affect the final product? I was brewing Ed Worts Oktoberfest recipe.

If the yeast attenuates as expected, you could end up with a drier beer than you originally attended. But some people intentionally start off with a lower OG to purposely get this result.

I am sure it will be great! :mug:

I had a similar issue on my recent first Partial Mash recipe...I was only 0.005 too low, I'm expecting a great beer! I guess the trick is to use more grain than you need in case your gravity is a bit too high you can always dilute it down a bit but you can't gain gravity very easily once your fermenter is filled.

Also note that OG readings can be tricky. Unless you've done a full boil, you're subject to incomplete mixture of your top-off water. If your sample had more water than wort, the gravity would be lower even if the brew was fine. If this is your case, it would be just fine - fermentation ensures complete mixture.

Back