Spice it up or leave it alone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
So I'm bottling an English IPA tonight. It was in the primary for a bit and then I dry hopped right in the primary.

I haven't spiced up any beers this holiday season and I'm wondering if there is anything I can add to this at bottling to spice it up??

The last thing I want to do though, is ruin a good batch of IPA.

What do you think? Any good suggestions to add at bottling or just leave it alone?

If you want, make a spice tea and add it to the beer when you have a gallon left. That way you'll have some spiced beer for the holidays, and the rest of the beer as is. I would guess orange peel would work well if nothing else.

I wouldn't put orange peel in the bottles, doesn't quite seem right...

I agree that doing the tea might be your best bet at this point.

I don't know that I'd add any spices to an IPA. I just don't think the flavors would meld nicely. I have never done it though so i could be wrong.

If your just looking to add a little something extra to the beer you could always try some oak...

If you want, make a spice tea and add it to the beer when you have a gallon left. That way you'll have some spiced beer for the holidays, and the rest of the beer as is. I would guess orange peel would work well if nothing else.

This is a good idea. Then if it doesn't work well, I haven't spoiled an entire batch. Do you have a spiced tea recommendation?? I'm not a tea drinker.

This is a good idea. Then if it doesn't work well, I haven't spoiled an entire batch. Do you have a spiced tea recommendation?? I'm not a tea drinker.

By spice tea i just mean soak some spices in some hot water for 4-5 minutes, strain, and dose. It gives you a fine control over the spicing level, add some, taste, repeat, until you get a good balance.

Some people do a alcohol extraction with spices, but the hot water method is much quicker and has worked well for me.

I'm against it. Doesn't seem like a natural flavor extension or compliment. Personally for spice additions I usually start with a base brown ale recipe and go wild from there. =)

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to just bottle it as is.

I've not had an english IPA myself, but I wouldn't think the spices would go with with the hoppiness. of an IPA.

I've been wanting to try chinese 5 spice in a beer. Just gotta figure out which type I want to use it in.

The last spiced beer I made didn't turn out as expected. I stupidly decided to brew just in time to not be able to bottle etc. right before my wedding, and the batch now smells funny (musty?) It was a dark ale with molasses, ginger, allspice, and cinnamon (like my grandmother's cookies). Beautiful beer, and tasted great.... as long as you didn't inhale.

Since then, I've wanted to get the spiced beer right. I'm thinking 5 spice porter, or scottish ale, but haven't decided which yet.

Back