Help!!! Carbonation problem, need ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross3648

Reaction score
This is what I got.

I brewed an extract version of a Westvleteren 12 Clone

7 lbs Briess Sparking Amber (13.0 SRM) Extract 53.85 %
2 lbs 12.0 oz Briess Pilsen Light (3.0 SRM) Extract 21.15 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (17.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (48.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (145.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
4.0 oz Choclate Malt (325.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
2.00 oz Pearle [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 31.7 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.40 %] (30 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.40 %] (20 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
1 lbs 8.0 oz Candi Syrip (80.0 SRM) Sugar 11.54 %
5.75 gal Water
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) [Starter 660 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.095 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.088 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.64 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 9.18 %
Bitterness: 38.0 IBU Calories: 406 cal/pint
Est Color: 30.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Notes: -
Carbonation and Storage
Primay for 21 days Temps started at 74 F for 4 Days then drop to 68 F
Racked off into Secondary,placed in basment at 58 F for 7 Days then to my fridge for 14 days at 52 F to drop the yeast.

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar 3/4 cup
Bottling Temperature: 68.0 F Age for: 21 days
Storage Temperature: 68.0 F

Three weeks now and I cracked open one, only a little bit of carbonation The beer taste good, maybe a little to much IBU for a Westvleteren 12.

I'm going to let it age for another three weeks, but if it does not get better what should I do? I thought about opening up my bottles and adding a little sugar and maybe a dry wine yeast, or maybe pick up another tube of white labs and use an eye dropper to add some more yeast.

Any ideas on what works best?

I'm going to let it age for another three weeks, but if it does not get better what should I do? I thought about opening up my bottles and adding a little sugar and maybe a dry wine yeast, or maybe pick up another tube of white labs and use an eye dropper to add some more yeast.

Any ideas on what works best?

You don't need to worry about it, as long as your beer is above 70 degrees, sometimes in the next 3 weeks your beer will go "pop" and be carbed up....I give a 99.9% gaurentee that it will be fine. :D

One thing you can do now is to roll each of the bottles back and forth on a table top to re-suspend/agitate the yeasties, then put them back in the closet...

I rolled each bottle and put them away. I know I'm just worried, but I put a lot of time and money into this batch for something to go wrong, But have you had this problem before and How did you deal with it?

I rolled each bottle and put them away. I know I'm just worried, but I put a lot of time and money into this batch for something to go wrong, But have you had this problem before and How did you deal with it?

You are being paranoid....I have NEVER had a bottle that didn't carb up eventually.

Generally speaking the 3 weeks at 70 degrees that we recommend is only a guideline, a minimum...the higher the grav, the longer it takes to carb and condition. Don't forget, just because a beer is fizzy doesn't mean it is still not green, and tastes like a$$...

I've had stouts and porters take 4-6 weeks to carb...I have a 1.090 Belgian Strong Dark Ale that is 2.5 months in the bottle and it is barely beginning to carb up, I don't think it will even begin to stop tasting green and like rocket fuel for about another 2-3 months....

Hell during the winter I am lucky if I get ANY BEER to carb up inn 8 weeks, since my loft stays in the low 60 all winter...I wrap them in sleeping bags and other things to keep them warm.

this ain't koolaid we are making....

Read this, and Relax.

Revvy's Blog; Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Thats a big beer you brewed, takes more time as you are finding out, it will happen like Rev said. Out of nowhere in the next few weeks......pop!
Looks like a great brew by the way.

Thats a big beer you brewed, takes more time as you are finding out, it will happen like Rev said. Out of nowhere in the next few weeks......pop!
Looks like a great brew by the way.

Oh heck I didn't even notice the OG....same as my Belgian Strong...

In that case we ARE talking months here, pal....MONTHS.

And not just to Carb, but to condition.

Thanks for noticing that Pharmguy!

:mug:

Thanx for the reply, I'm feeling better about this now. I'll give it till the end of summer before I open another botttle, besides I have a case of the real stuff if I want a Westie 12.

Im going to be a bad influence here but I could never wait that long, thats 4-5 months! Try one every few weeks to see the progression. :)

Back