What the heck is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first kegerator along with a AG setup. I have been going through all the parts that I acquired in the purchase and making a document of what each part is, and understanding what it does in the AG brew procedure. I have almost all items documented, but I have been unable to find a google link or description of what this is. The closest thing it resembles to me is a mash paddle, but I am assuming this is not a mash paddle, but rather a stirrer for the big Rubbermaid Home Depot 10 gallon beverage cooler I have.

Here is the picture:

stirSpoon-e1275254417554.jpg

cheers
-Chris

What is the diameter? Is it flat or concave? How long is the handle?
Was this a purchase from a dude who had a bunch of gear or was it a retail kit?
It looks like a skimmer.

What is the diameter? Is it flat or concave? How long is the handle?
Was this a purchase from a dude who had a bunch of gear or was it a retail kit?
It looks like a skimmer.

here you go? Do you know a specific make/model?

stirSpoon01.jpg

Not sure what you Yankees use it for but we use it when frying fish. When done they float just skim them off the top of the grease catfish that is.

God Bless
Swagman:cool:

Not sure what you Yankees use it for but we use it when frying fish. When done they float just skim them off the top of the grease catfish that is.

God Bless

"Yankees" <- REALLY! that hurts *lowers head*

You called a guy farther South than you a Yankee...
It would be used to skim out fried foods, or boiled foods, or you might try to use it to stir, but I don't think you'll find it very practical.

Sorry but was born and raised in the Little Dixie area in Missouri, heck still love my grits with butter, pepper and hot sauce

God Bless

Its a skimmer

Mmmm grits sound good :) What is a beer skimmer used for, and when is it used in the AG brewing process?

I believe it's called a spider, and, as suggested above, it's used for removing fried foods from the hot oil, letting as much oil drain off the food as possible. I have no idea what you would use it for in brewing, except maybe trying to fish whole hops out of a kettle. Wouldn't be too good as a mash paddle.

As long as we are all guessing this Yankee thinks that its use is that of a mash paddle while its intended use is that of a Confederate cracklin skimmer.

I believe it's called a spider, and, as suggested above, it's used for removing fried foods from the hot oil, letting as much oil drain off the food as possible. I have no idea what you would use it for in brewing, except maybe trying to fish whole hops out of a kettle. Wouldn't be too good as a mash paddle.

hmm, I will remember that when I accidentally drop a hop in the brew, thanks for the info.

cheers

Latest posts

Back