What does it cost you to refill your CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find anywhere to fill it that's less than .35 an ounce... thats like 20ish bucks for a 5lb tank... wtf ::rage::

Happy to see that I pay less than any of you! haha I use a gas-only store in Chattanooga, and I fill my 5 pounder for 6 dollars.

I pay 18.15 to refill a 5lb. at DMI Gases in Hyde Park. They fill your tank while you wait. They also sell tanks of all sizes.

$20 to swap out my 20# yesterday. Interesting Tare weight is 25# and I weighed it and it weighs 49#. Works for me.

Took my #5 bottle over two weeks ago knowing they wanted $18 for a swap. I asked about upgrading to a #10. $20 and $20 for the fill. Twice the CO2 for 10% more money! The upgrade on the bottle will pay for itself in one round.

Last swap on 5lb tank was just over $20 from local welding supply place. went up a few dollars from last swap.

Just swapped two 5# at a welding shop. $19.50 each, but my empties were out of date, so no complaints here. :rockin:

I get my 5# tank refilled at a local fire extinguisher service company in Yakima, WA for $7.00

CO2 cost is almost all service charge. Here's what I pay for my different bottles:
2 pound-$7
5 pound-$8
20 pound-$12*
50 pound-$20

*I had 2 20 pound tanks to exchange one day and the welding supply store owner asked me what they were for. I explained my homebrewing, he brought out a 35 and a 30 pound tank and gave them to me at the same price as my 20's.

So the LHBS charging $24.75 for a 5# refill is a bit high? Price as of Jan 6, 2012.

And is the date stamped on the bottle the expiration date or the date it was certified?
(just got a kegging kit for Xmas, new to it)

So the LHBS charging $24.75 for a 5# refill is a bit high? Price as of Jan 6, 2012.

And is the date stamped on the bottle the expiration date or the date it was certified?
(just got a kegging kit for Xmas, new to it)

I'm paying that (which seems high) for a tank swap at local welding supply... unfortunately that is the only game in town for me. The date is the tank certification. For a refill check a welding supply or fire extinguisher place.

Sparkling Carbonics in Cincinnati just refilled my 20# CO2 tank for $14 + tax. I believe it costs about $7 for a 5# tank.

Bumping this since it's a top google result for "cincinnati co2 fill homebrew."

Yesterday I swapped a 20# at Praxair off Spring Grove for $32 after taxes/fees.

I paid $22.09 incl. tax for a 20# refill at Baltimore Fire Protection Equipment (BFPE), off Dorsey Road, the south side of BWI airport.

That was the best price for refill I could get after a dozen phone calls. I guess I got a special "Walk-in rate" as I was quoted $27.50 originally.

I could get an exchange for about $18.50 from Praxair in Curtis Bay, but didn't want to give up my shiny Aluminum tank yet.

Was about $15 last time I filled mine at a Fire Extinguisher place in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

$13.54 at the local welder's supply shop to refill a 5# tank. No alternatives locally that I'm aware of.

Not sure what my LHBS charges (in San Antonio), as the one time I've had them fill my tank, they gave it to me free because they botched my order. I was happy with that arrangement. :)

Hell of an old thread, but I'll bite.

LHBS (Adventures in Homebrewing) fills for $2/lb.

And not that I'm big into the idea of "food grade" things, but is it all the same? If so, I'm going to find a welding shop nearby!

For a 5# aluminum tank LHBS wants $25 for an exchange, very distant one wants $15. Lynwood Central Welding was $12.57 (Ballard shop only had steel tanks in Jan. when I last needed gas and I paid $27 at other gas supplier). All the pot grow suppliers are advertising $20 20# al. tank exchanges on Craig's List.

Latest posts

Back