Online File Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for online file storage, specifically for digital photos.

I haven't cleaned up my pictures in a long time and it's a long term task, but I have about 40G of pictures that I want to have backed-up.

Looking for an affordable option.

Thanks.

Looking for recommendations for online file storage, specifically for digital photos.

I haven't cleaned up my pictures in a long time and it's a long term task, but I have about 40G of pictures that I want to have backed-up.

Looking for an affordable option.

Thanks.

McKBrew,

I have never used an online solution, instead of that have you considered an external SSD? Much longer lifespan from what I am told and they are coming down in price to where you have to add up the total number of years of online costs vs an SSD.

I've thought about it and currently have an external hard drive that is almost full. I haven't moved it to a different location yet, but there is my concern with a device. Finding another place to store it. I suppose my biggest concern is fire, and with the pics on an online server somewhere, they would be likely safer than I could keep them.

Are you looking for a place to have them viewable as a gallery or just as an online backup? If looking for a backup only and not storage(meaning you will back them up and not delete them from your computer) then I highly recommend Mozy. You get 2GB of storage free for free or unlimited space for $60/yr (google for coupon codes as you can sometimes find 15-20% off).

The initial backup will take an eternity depending on your connection speed but then it will just backup whichever files are new or changed.

My father is in the data storage business probably knows the importance of data backup more than anyone. He uses this site and I use it as well. It's really cheap insurance for $55/year and so easy to use, to access your data and to set up automatic backups.

http://www.carbonite.com/

My father is in the data storage business probably knows the importance of data backup more than anyone. He uses this site and I use it as well. It's really cheap insurance for $55/year and so easy to use, to access your data and to set up automatic backups.

http://www.carbonite.com/

Not to start a Rush debate, but here is a discount on Carbonite through Rush Limbaugh's page: http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/carbonite/carbonite.guest.html

For unlimited storage and backup, the price is good, but I would wonder what the load would be on your internet speed.

Given how much you have to back up, I am still leaning toward an external SSD(~128GB) with an overwrite function to prevent filling up the drive.

Back