So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First full boil... grains steeping bringing the water to boil in the new spikes kettle

1397926710564.jpg

Yes. Finally!! SMaSH with US Fuggles. Kettle coming up on 180° for the boil. First go with a proper size brew kettle and an immersion chiller.

"I will make it felony to drink small beer. "

Just beginning the mash on a nut brown ale! My first AG brown ale and am having to get creative with the hops I use. Don't have the traditional fuggles or EKG so I am going to use the last ounce of centennial. My apps tell me it will give me the better ibu of 32 which is more along the lines for that style. My fingers are crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewing a modified cream ale recipe tomorrow w more hops and IBU's in the APA territory. Gonna call it "Resurrection Pale Ale". Not very original, I know, but appropriate for an Easter brew.

Just finished my batch sparge and have 7 gallons to boil. Putting an ounce of centennial at 30 minutes then will add the notty when cooled... A good day today.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just finished brewing a Smash Pale Ale on my new Blichman floor burner, what a difference from a turkey fryer!:ban:
This will be the first dry hop I have ever done, should be interesting. For me anyway.:)

I am hoping to brew an English mild with Tea added. Trying to get out of Easter with the In-laws and that side of the family. :D

Good luck with that!!! I tried that theory. Now I'll be up at 5am to brew my dry stout so I don't miss all the "excitement" at the inlaws!! :(

I just finished cleaning up after brewing a cream ale of some sort. I'm looking for a refreshing lawn mower beer that my Milwaulkee's Best Light/Coors Light/MGD 64-drinking father might try.

I guess we can't have guests a for a month.

6 gallons of our 'House' Saison, 12 gallons of Hibiscus Saison and 6 Gallons of a Rye Common. We still have a Berliner Weiss to do. Good thing I have one more Swamp bucket handy.

tub1.jpg

@The542 - do you have a recipe for that? I love IPL's but can't seem to find a good one to brew, plus I'm looking to do my first SMaSH brew so this would be sweet.

Gonna brew a Centennial Blonde Ale this weekend. Taking it a party on the 17th.

So much to do, so little time. I've got to do some metalworking on Saturday, then a friend is coming over to sample the current inventory. I'm also entirely out of stout and my brown ale supply is running low. Perhaps, just maybe, I can whip up an evening batch when people are visiting and we're all enjoying previous brew days. As long as at least one of us has some dexterity it should be alright.

I'm making a summer wheat beer this weekend. We have a new idea for better filtration and we're exited to see if we can finally nail down some of our technique (third all grain batch, still a little shaky on temperatures mash and rest temps)

SWMBO went with me to the LBS second time in a week and bought ingrediantd for Bee Cave Rye IPA, and Heavenly Scourge Black IPA! Just brewed wild pecan porter on Friday, looking forward to these.

I'm making a summer wheat beer this weekend. We have a new idea for better filtration and we're exited to see if we can finally nail down some of our technique (third all grain batch, still a little shaky on temperatures mash and rest temps)

What were your questions with filtration and temps?

What were your questions with filtration and temps?

We don't so much have questions as we do have issues performing them correctly. We just got a new pot and switched to propane for a faster boil and we're still getting to used to maintaining a steady temperature on a different system.

As for filtration, we have a new invention we want to try for keeping the trub out of the primary when we go to ferment:

A 2-liter coke bottle cut in half to use as a wide funnel and one of these. We tried it out with some normal water and we think it's going to work great for aerating the wort as well as filtering out the trub.

Finally getting around to brewing my 2014 Nikko's Wobbly Wine (Barley Wine). I brewed a barley wine 2 years ago just after the birth of my son. My goal is brew another barley wine every two years and have some kind of vertical tasting with him years from now. The first was an English style. This time I'm shooting for a big hoppy American style with copious amounts of Amarillo, Citra, Centennila, Cascade, and a touch of Simcoe when dry hopping.

I'm also giving partigyle a go. The plan is to get a average to low gravity Saison from the 2nd and/or 3rd runnings.

Wish me luck!

I wish my dad had a 24 year old Barley Wine he wasn't telling me about...

Me too!

I can't take credit for the idea. I knew I wanted to brew something special for my son's birth. Someone offered up this idea. The hardest part is NOT dipping into the now 2yr old barley wine. I pulled a few bottles the first year for tasting along the way, but outside of that, I only open one bottle each year on his birthday. I'm sure one day it will start to go south in which case, I'll just start drinking them. But at least I'll have one in the works every 2 years.

I've put away 2 bottles of my Bière de Garde that I bottled 3 days before my daughter was born, to be opened when she turns 18. It's 8.6% so it should survive. I'm going to brew an imperial stout at 10% next month to lay down for her so I know I'll have something that will survive lol

I'm also giving partigyle a go. The plan is to get a average to low gravity Saison from the 2nd and/or 3rd runnings.

Wish me luck!
If you haven't done so, do a quick search on parti gyle or second runnings before you embark on this adventure. It is basically as easy as it sounds, and a barley wine is a perfect base for starting from. My main suggestion would be to not get greedy with volume from the second runnings but instead shoot for a certain gravity. Check it periodically through the multiple small batch sparges or fly sparge. Don't add a ton of batch sparge water and risk a 1.020 OG.

I usually get 1.035-1.040 from a parti gyle of batches with primary at 1.055-1.060, and about a gallon or gallon and a half less volume. Good luck, happy brewing.

If you haven't done so, do a quick search on parti gyle or second runnings before you embark on this adventure. It is basically as easy as it sounds, and a barley wine is a perfect base for starting from. My main suggestion would be to not get greedy with volume from the second runnings but instead shoot for a certain gravity. Check it periodically through the multiple small batch sparges or fly sparge. Don't add a ton of batch sparge water and risk a 1.020 OG.

I usually get 1.035-1.040 from a parti gyle of batches with primary at 1.055-1.060, and about a gallon or gallon and a half less volume. Good luck, happy brewing.

Thanks for the info. I've done a bit of research and talked to my LHBS owner who's pretty knowledgeable. I think I'm going to crush some rye and use the 2nd or 3rd runnings from the barley wine to do a second small mash. Add some rye to the saison and up the gravity a bit. Really kind of shooting from the hip on this one... but am not super critical over what I get out of it. More or less just messing around to see what I get.

About to dough in a Wisconsin Belgian Red as soon as the MLT warms up. After lunch should be doing an American Wheat.

Ok guys, time for roll call.

Who's brewing today?

Just brewed "Hops on Pop 3C" IIPA partial mash - 2 ozs CTZ, 2 ozs Centennial, 1.5 ozs cascade...4 lbs base grain, 9 lbs dme. About to repitch it on top of a Wakatu Red Rye from a couple weeks ago and add some T-58 to back up the US05 already in there. Insomnia sometimes has it's benefits - I was mashing by 5:15 and started the boil by 7 am.

(Edited - T58, not T98. Already bubbling away quite nicely!)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I was mashing by 5:15 and started the boil by 7 am.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I had intended on enjoying the sunrise this morning myself, but I didn't hit the sack till after midnight after a long day yesterday. I have 20 more minutes of mashtime left.

Soon as the cooler was closed, I started cleaning all the carboys and bottling buckets from some brews I finished up and bottled last night. Too bad my yeast didn't match up, I could have pitched right back on top of them this morning.

Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde mashing right now. This will be a great early season, yard work beer.

Back