'Old Slug' Wee Heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So, after procuring a mason jar full of fresh scottish ale yeast (that was supposedly high-alcohol-tolerant) from a local brewmaster, I decided to brew on Friday night...a Scottish Wee Heavy. Little bit of Peated malt, little bit of aromatic & honey malts...should be great.

All went well. It was partial-mash...a "mostly-mash", if you will. A hefty grain bill, but I added some LME to get the alcohol strength up into the correct range. I got a late start...didn't get mashing till around 8:30pm! Mash went great, as did the boil. Just took a long time, as usual. Watched the last two episodes of The Wire's second season on my MacBook while trying to stay under the roof overhang to avoid getting rained on. Anyway, here's the MLT...my ghetto "tower":

4914-P1010092.JPG

Might be ghetto, but it works...and that 50L MLT is so nice! Here's the boil:

4914-P1010093.JPG

As for the name - Old Slug - well, it seems that I had an audience. I set a half-filled jug of water on the retaining wall behind the kettle, and a few minutes later...

4914-P1010088.JPG

He stayed there through the whole session. Everything went well, finished aerating around 3am, and climbed into bed. Unfortunately, the lag time somehow ended up being like 12 hours, which is odd considering that the yeast was so plentiful and fresh. So be it. Fermentation is currently chugging away.

Oh, and this is how I finished up the night...it's okay to be jealous:

4914-P1010097.JPG

:off: The Wire, awesome show. I own the first season, but I haven't watched anything past that. How's the second season compare?

Torchiest said:
:off: The Wire, awesome show. I own the first season, but I haven't watched anything past that. How's the second season compare?

:off: Yeah, def. one of the best pieces of entertainment I've seen. Second season gets better, I think. More development of the cop/criminal dynamic. More complexities arise. I think that the third season, IIRC, shifts focus to the greeks. Can't wait. Netflix should ship the first disc today. :D

Back