Help with Bayou Classic KAB4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1341

Reaction score
Some advice on how to get the Bayou classic KAB4 up and running would be greatly appreciated.

I recently got kicked out of the kitchen because the wife doesn't like the smell of boiling hops and wort. I got the bayou classic KAB4 and a full propane tank to boil the wort in the garage. I got everything set up, turned on the burner to boil 6.3 gallons...and waited. Over an hour later and the wort temp was still only 140*. I followed all the instructions o set it up but could only get about a centimeter of blue flame out of the burner.

Any suggestions?

You need to play with the damper plate for the air intake. It sounds like it's closed. All the way open and it will blow out the flame. Halfway seems to work well.

I had it about 1/3 way open. I was reading the troubleshooting guide again. I have the tank fully open and the valve all the way open. Maybe triggering the excess flow safety device?

brett1341 said:
I had it about 1/3 way open. I was reading the troubleshooting guide again. I have the tank fully open and the valve all the way open. Maybe triggering the excess flow safety device?

The regulator? If that thing shuts off you get nothing. I would play with the damper plate. I have a KAB4, and it's like a jet engine.

Problem solved. Stupid excess flow safety. Bottlebomber, you're right, it does sound like a jet engine!

Latest posts

Back