Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that is nice! You made that window to fit the box fan; from a guy that did HVAC for 15 years, I bet it works great, just like a Whole-house fan. You do nice work!

@mikescooling The window was included when we bought the condo. The box fan fit nicely and pulls the vapors right out of the room. We also epoxy painted all of the walls in the room. So far so good after 6 brews. Now to improve my HERMS recirculation flow rate. My HLT runs at about 5-6 degrees higher than my mash temperature. I have no idea if this is normal, but the flow through the Morebeer Ultimate Sparge Arm is just a trickle. Though we haven't made a bad beer yet.

@mikescooling The window was included when we bought the condo. The box fan fit nicely and pulls the vapors right out of the room. We also epoxy painted all of the walls in the room. So far so good after 6 brews. Now to improve my HERMS recirculation flow rate. My HLT runs at about 5-6 degrees higher than my mash temperature. I have no idea if this is normal, but the flow through the Morebeer Ultimate Sparge Arm is just a trickle. Though we haven't made a bad beer yet.

I recommend you build a sparge arm out of the Loc-Line fittings. It works VERY well.

http://www.loc-line.com/index.html

Built this in my 5'x10' laundry room. It's a 20 Gallon HERMS electric system fully plumbed with 3 pumps, inline chiller, and aeration stone. The cheapest item was the box fan. :)

currentconfiguration_zps5ea8c390.jpg

conicals_zps3da097ad.jpg

brewerypanoramic_zps03d8f377.jpg

Bravo Sir... Bravo

I did a ton of work on my single tier stand over the weekend and today.

-Finalized the design
-Cut steel stock
-Welded
-Cut, stained and sealed wood for shelf
-Bought hose and fittings for propane plumbing
-Started to paint

Edit: Almost forgot, build pictures coming soon!

boredstate said:
nothing fancy. all manual propane setup & single infusion:

slowly piecing the new system together:

Love the fermentor setup, what do you use to control the temp for it? I'm assuming you have coils in the top with water or glycol.

boredstate said:
nothing fancy. all manual propane setup & single infusion:

slowly piecing the new system together:

Wow is that last kettle photo stock or yours? Serious investment.. But how nice!

Love the fermentor setup, what do you use to control the temp for it? I'm assuming you have coils in the top with water or glycol.

I have a window a/c unit in my guest bathroom to control the ambient temp and, yes, a stainless coil installed through the lid for fine tuning temps. no glycol setup yet, just recirculating ice water through the coil for the moment.

Wow is that last kettle photo stock or yours? Serious investment.. But how nice!

that's mine. scored them with midwest's 20% off deal they did a while back. took a few months to get them in, but worth the wait!

jstebell said:
Operational not finished tho. New Stout kettles 20 gal all the way around w/ herms and hard plummed in the near future.

Wow! Nice design. Looks scary with no support underneath but I'm sure you checked that out. Makes a nice open look and feel.

That looks like something sold at IKEA, like art deco. If the welds are good it should be strong enough. Just freekey to look at.
Whats the muffler on your plate chiller? I've never seen it, I think I want one?

mikescooling said:
That looks like something sold at IKEA, like art deco. If the welds are good it should be strong enough. Just freekey to look at.
Whats the muffler on your plate chiller? I've never seen it, I think I want one?

I think that is the Rims, but I don't understand why it would be hooked to the chiller

Yes it is the filter from brewers hardware. For me it didn't work well they way it's designed. Your supposed to hook it up on the discharge of you BK. I could never get a good prime with my chugger due to air in the filter. But hooked it right I front of the plate chiller and pump throught it. Works great. That for all the complements. And trust me the open front is awsome and I did a weight test on all the burners stands with me and a 300# buddy first.

First time post for me. I went through this epic thread several months back and got tons of inspiration from all of the clever approaches I saw. So inspired, that I parked my cooler MT, got a welder, some steel and other parts to make my latest rig. It's a keggle based, 2 tier, single pump, HERMS setup. The dumps of the MT and BK are real handy and the CFC is the bomb. Three batches so far, so I'm still learning the flow. Now I'm working on how can I get done in less than 6 hours. I'm considering skipping mashout... It's making me quite popular on the alleyway. I guess the neighbors deserve some benefit after weeks of hearing a screeching grinder :mug:

Overall View_1.jpg

Dumping_1.jpg

HERMSCOIL1.jpg

Homemade flase bottom1.jpg

fdemt84 said:
Being military and moving around A lot don't always have a lot of space and time. So I like my mobile rigged together stand.

You,sir, have a portable three-tier system. And I am sure it works well. Thanks for sharing. I love the ingenuity.

Mark

jstebell said:
Operational not finished tho. New Stout kettles 20 gal all the way around w/ herms and hard plummed in the near future.

And people told me I needed a center brace on my stand. Nice design work, me thinks you may have plenty of folks will be adopting that design, after all form should go with function.

And people told me I needed a center brace on my stand. Nice design work, me thinks you may have plenty of folks will be adopting that design, after all form should go with function.

Thanks. Here's a pic of the back of the stand just after welding and primer. Stall haven't got a chance to paint it yet.

image.jpg

I built my stand out of galvanized strut. Is there a paint I could use that won't just burn off around the burners like the galvanized finish did?

I finally got done with my new brew stand! Brewed with it this last weekend everything went really good besides the rookie mistake of a boil over.....just learning the ins and out of the stand!!

image-3690645495.jpg

I built my stand out of galvanized strut. Is there a paint I could use that won't just burn off around the burners like the galvanized finish did?

Before painting over galvanized metal, wipe it down with vinegar. I don't understand the chemistry behind it, but it is a night and day difference getting paint to "stick" to galvanized surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
fur_252 said:
I finally got done with my new brew stand! Brewed with it this last weekend everything went really good besides the rookie mistake of a boil over.....just learning the ins and out of the stand!!

Fermcap-S!!!! I can't believe how great this stuff works! One drop per gallon in the boil and you couldn't boil over if you tried. Also works awesome in a yeast starter or in the fermenter. It's supposed to be made of food grade liquid silicon and somehow doesn't affect head retention, I guess it drops out of suspension.

501irishred said:
Before painting over galvanized metal, wipe it down with vinegar. I don't understand the chemistry behind it, but it is a night and day difference getting paint to "stick" to galvanized surfaces.

Awesome thanks for the tip

AlleyBrewer104 said:
First time post for me. I went through this epic thread several months back and got tons of inspiration from all of the clever approaches I saw. So inspired, that I parked my cooler MT, got a welder, some steel and other parts to make my latest rig. It's a keggle based, 2 tier, single pump, HERMS setup. The dumps of the MT and BK are real handy and the CFC is the bomb. Three batches so far, so I'm still learning the flow. Now I'm working on how can I get done in less than 6 hours. I'm considering skipping mashout... It's making me quite popular on the alleyway. I guess the neighbors deserve some benefit after weeks of hearing a screeching grinder :mug:

Awesome looking system! How well does that HERMS coil work? Mine has the coils spaced vertically up to about half the height of my HLT. It seems like you'd have cooler water in the bottom around your coils. Great setup!

I think the HERMS coil works well, but since I don't have anything to compare it to directly, so that's just my opinion. In equilibrium, it heats the MT to about 6F cooler than the HLT pretty quickly, so I just use a 6F offset for my setpoints, when I step mashed a wit, I used 10F to speed it up. Maybe the coil works well enough for me because of the way I use it though. When I am recirculating, I only have ~2 gallons in the HLT, which only covers the coil by a couple of inches, plus I can I heat it up really quick with that massive banjo burner. I think that the lower amount of water and having the temperature sensor above the coil helps keep the heat moving. My 2C, but it sure is fun to tinker with.

AlleyBrewer104 said:
It's a keggle based, 2 tier, single pump, HERMS setup. The dumps of the MT and BK are real handy and the CFC is the bomb. Three batches so far, so I'm still learning the flow. Now I'm working on how can I get done in less than 6 hours. I'm considering skipping mashout... mug:

I fairly consistently do 4 hr brew days on a similar setup from starting HLT burner to pitching yeast (and mostly cleaned up) barring major mishaps. Here are some things that speed up my brew day:

1. Crank your home's hot water heater up all the way the night before. Then I use 5 gal buckets filled directly from the hot (filtered) water on my garage sink to fill my HLT. There is more heat loss if you use a hose run from hot water to your HLT which is why I use a bucket. Then I mill grain while HLT is heating but I have to hustle milling because water is almost at dough-in temp. (Warn SWMBO that the water is scalding then turn it back to normal during boil).

2. I choose to continue heating my HLT to the next infusion temperature or to mash out temp while I'm mashing (I recirc continuously). I have a bypass valve on my HLT that I throttle open as the HLT gets hotter. This way, when I hit my 60 min mash, I'm already at mash out temp and can do an infusion and start recircing at mash-out temp to quickly hit mash-out temp in Mash Tun.

3. I use the time between stages to prep for next stage: milling while heating sparge water; weighing hops while mashing; sanitizing fermenter, chiller and hoses while boiling; dumping spent grains and starting cleaning while boiling; and finally getting to enjoy some homebrews during boil;

4. I found a 3 compartment commercial stainless sink on Craigslist for cheap and plumbed it with two faucets both with hot & cold. This saves me so much time and back-breaking effort cleaning keggles. (I admire your side dump mash tun!...looks like you could dump it right into a wheelbarrow).

5. Periodically clean your burners especially if they start putting soot on your keggles. For the two piece turkey fryer burners, take them apart and wire brush and steel wool the internals to maximize the heat transfer to your keggles.

6. I don't get much time to "Relax and have a homebrew" during the brew. When I have had a few homebrews it tends to make the day longer and sorties leads to mishaps...and memories...like the epic "Linbach 13" flavored with "a drop" of grilled cheese sandwich. I have a hard time sitting still when there is something to do. When I have friends over during the brew I tend to be a lot more relaxed and it adds an hour or two to my brew day.

Hope that helps speeding up your brew days, if you desire. I also like to load up my Keggle with up to 36 pounds of grain and do a parti-gyle double batch. I can do two 10 gal batches in about 6 -7 hours.

Back