Broken Primary in the middle of Brewing - when store is closed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
Ok... I am a NOOB

I was getting my system down. bought another 5gal carboy so that I could have 3 going.
As a matter of fact. I have:
Texas Blonde Ale - in one Secondary - in week 2
Imperial IPA in secondary #2 just starting to condition.
And I was in the middle of making an american pale ale.
Things were great .... dreaming about kegging my Blonde ale in a week...while
I had my wort on ice and the wort chiller going.
and I was in the process of sanitizing my primary - (already cleaned it) - and I used (for the first time) my tea kettle to heat up water to mix with my solution.
BAD IDEA... the water was too hot and the primary CRACKED!
I freaked. Then I thought I need to get this wort into a different container.
I have growlers. So I quickly cleaned and sanitized them and moved the chilled wort into 4 growlers. I did not pitch yeast... of course.
My local supply opens at 10am. If I get my butt down there and get a new primary and then transfer the wort over and pitch the yeast.. will I be ok?

Long story I know.... in my head I think I will be ok... I was very careful through the process.. I just wonder about wort sitting without pitching yeast into it.. if that is going to be a big deal

Thanks for the info.
T
Brewing in Austin, Texas
:mug:

All of that aside, as long as you followed proper sanitary procedures, you'll be fine, especially if you're using dry yeast. It often takes a day or so for liquid yeast to start up so but dry takes a matter of hours.

I do like the suggestion of conducting some kind of experiment. Got enough airlocks for the growlers?

srsly...i've been meaning to do an experiment like that but i'm lazy...too much work. all the work's been done! get some airlocks when you buy the carboy and get four different yeasteses going! :)

Interesting thoughts.
I am not sure if I am ready for all of that just yet.
These batches I am making are for our Thanksgiving week-end.. with family in town. I might drink a little some before.

If I want to do this again I will ask more questions.
So basicly I would use 4 different yeasts and get 4 different types of beers?
What about moving it conditioning? I would need 4 more growlers to move into?
Thanks again for responding to my question.

You'd need one more growler, or a temporary place to put it in. Once you empty the first one out, you clean it and move beer from growler #2 into growler #1. Clean growler #2 and put in beer from growler #3.

I'd just get another carboy and git r dun. I might even put all the wort back into the kettle and boil up for a few minutes just to make sure any nasties would be gone.

Good points all.
Thank you for the responses.

I wish I would have read about re boiling ... before I put it all in carboy.

As to my reading... The reciepe calls for a 1.052 and I came up with 1.049
thoughts? - Seems close enough to me.

This is actually the first time I have taking any readings...
trying to learn how to use and understanding the readings.

T
Brewing in Austin, Texas

That reading sounds fine. You could easily be off a couple points from the wort not being mixed thoroughly enough or by the temperature at the time. The reboiling isn't particularily necessary, just an extra careful step.

I'm sure everything is going to turn out fine! :D

Back