Pumpkin Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termonfeckin

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I want to brew some sort of pumpkin beer for this coming halloween season, never done a seasonal type beer before. Originally was going to do a red ale base, but it occurred to me that the spiciness of a saison might really compliment the pumpkin pie kinda flavour I'm going for. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this kind of thing, or any advice. Don't have much of a set plan right now so open to suggestions.

Greatly appreciated :mug:

Whatever you do, go REALLY easy on the pumpkin pie spices. I have 5 gallons of a pumpkin amber i did back in May, just sitting in the keezer, because i don't want to drink it. I put 1tsp of pumpkin pie spice in, thinking that was a really low amount, and it's overpowering the entire ale. That said, 1tsp might be fine depending on the spice blend, freshness etc... but be very careful.

Hey guys,
I want to brew some sort of pumpkin beer for this coming halloween season, never done a seasonal type beer before. Originally was going to do a red ale base, but it occurred to me that the spiciness of a saison might really compliment the pumpkin pie kinda flavour I'm going for. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this kind of thing, or any advice. Don't have much of a set plan right now so open to suggestions.

Greatly appreciated :mug:

I'd only ask the question whether the saison yeast would attenuate to much. I'd also wonder whether I higher degree fermentation would create an ester profile that would clash with the pumpkin spices. If you are adding pumpkin spices would you want a yeast that is neutral enough to not muddle the flavor profile.

As for the attenuation problem, I'd probably just mash higher, along with some crystal malt. That was a concern though.
My original thought was that maybe the saison spiciness could replace most of the pumpkin pie spice, with maybe some cinnamon addition. I'm just worried that in the end I'd have not much more than a normal saison with maybe a hint of pumpkin.

I did a pumpkin saison last year using cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. The bone dry finish really didn't mesh well with the spices. If I had to do it again, I think I might just do without the spices, as I did get some pumpkin flavor in the beer, and saison is plenty spicy.

Maybe I'm underestimating the attenuation of this yeast.. I don't know if a dead dry pumpkin beer is really what I'm going for. May have to think on this one a bit. But in the end, I didn't get into brewing beer to play it safe...

Back