Critique - late hopped all simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just read a thread and article about late hopping, so I created a fairly simple IPA recipe using that technique. I had an all Simcoe IIPA fairly recently, and the flavor was wonderful. I've been brewing strong beers lately, so I decided not to go Imperial with this one. The grain bill is pretty close to the DFH 60 Minute clone recipe.

Recipe link

Critique away!

Yeast Infection said:
not too familiar with "amber malt." Is is a standard crystal/carmel? Or something thats real cool that i dont know about?
Amber Malt - Roasted specialty malt used in some English browns, milds and old ales to add color and a biscuit taste. Intense flavor - so limit use. Low diastatic power so must be mashed with well modified malts.

Crystal 20 is a reasonable substitute if you can't get Amber Malt.

DFH Brewery uses it to add character to their IPAs, so I added a bit to this recipe.

ohiobrewtus said:
Looks like a great recipe to me. Way to pimp the website ;)
Thanks! I just like the BeerSmith brew reports, and HBT doesn't support uploading HTML. I'll put the recipe in the database here after a few more comments and critiques.

Which Simcoe IIPA did you have?

I did a Simcoe & Summit combo in a slight take on hop bursting (though I split the difference and went with a standard 60 min Magnum addition) that was great. Simcoe is great for dryhopping too.

Latest posts

Back