"A" system keg valve, how the HECK do i open this thing!?!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammis

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I havent been able to find any info on how to open/remove an "A" system keg valve/spear from 2 kegs which i have acquired (legally), i believe they are both hoegaarden kegs.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Cheers!

so i never figured out how to remove the valve or stem, so i just depressurized the kegs and cut them open instead, worked out in the end

I live in Germany and we have this type of keg. It can be opened in two seconds. First, absolute safety warning.

EMPTY THE PRESSURE OF THE KEG FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after there is no further pressure in the keg, do what is in this video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlurmsaJuvs]Fass öffnen - YouTube[/ame]

I also have this same keg but cannot figure out how to depressurise. Is it possible to do this without a coupler?

Just use a flat head screw driver to slowly depress the valve in the keg spear. Stand to the side so you don't get a face full of old stinky beer

Thanks for the help everyone. The valve was basically jammed as I had been carrying the keg around from sharehouse to sharehouse for about ten years. I tried wedging it open with screwdrivers and hammers but could not get it to budge enough to relieve pressure so I ended up buying the cheapest 'A' System coupler I could find. I think it cost me about $40 AUD in the end but it worked (obviously). After the initial de-pressurisation with the coupler I tried again with the screwdriver method and the valve moved a lot easier. I think the age of the keg was the main problem.

Thanks for teh post. I got the keg de-pressurized and followed your video...thanks!

How do I take out the spear?

Back