Starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanPDX

Reaction score
So I am going to be making an IPA today, and I will be using WLP007 Dry english ale yeast. This is my 3rd time making a starter, but I a little confused. I am making the starter in a gallon growler, filled about half way with wort. I pitched the yeast Thursday evening, shaking it up every now and then, and it now looks like this:
4278947195_031d0c1b7d.jpg

So when I go to pitch this into my wort, should I just dump the whole thing in, or pour out most of the liquid then just pour in the yeast from the bottom?

You can either pour it all in, using the last bit to stir up the yeast prior to pitching or you can decant off the liquid, but again saving a little to swirl up the yeast and pitch.

[EDIT]Sorry, did not answer the question asked. I usually pour it all in unless it has been in the fridge. This way I am sure to get all the yeast that may still be in suspension. If were to use more than a 2 qt starter, though, I'd probably decant some of the liquid but still pour some of it in as well.[/EDIT]

i threw it in the fridge for a few hours and then siphoned off most of the liquid. Pitched it, and 5 hours later this thing is starting to ferment like crazy. I think this is just a high flocculating yeast and it fell out of suspension really quickly, and thats what threw me for a loop. Thanks for the info guys.

Back