Questions about covering a boiling pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
So I've now brewed 3 batches in total and had no idea that keeping the lid on my boiling pot was a bad thing.

Unfortunately for me I'm doing on partial boil on an electric stove so keeping the lid on helps me get to a boil.

I guess my question is can I continue to do so as long as I'm stirring constantly which when I lift my lid the condensation drips off the cover and lands on the stove for the most part?

Do you suggest keeping the lid on partial so that some condenmsation can escape?

I didn't notice any type of cardboard taste in my 1st bacth (English Brown Ale)

I did the same thing on my first batch.

I doubt you ruined your brew, and I bet you'll still find a way to drink it all.

Well, DMS is never a hard-and-fast rule, but it just increases the chances.

I'd suggest:

-Leaving the lid on while trying to get up to boiling, but removing the lid once you reach hot break.

-Going to WalMart, buying a $40 propane turkey fryer set, and leaving your kitchen stove to food prep.

Assuming you are doing extract, you can do late addition. Boil the hops with the lid on (adjusting the amounts to reflect using water instead of wort), then add the extract at the end. Bring it back to a boil to sanitize & cool.

From what I've heard from interviews with the extract makers, most of the DMS precursors are removed in the manufacturing process, so leaving the lid on would seem to be a lesser issue (it's certainly not something you can do with AG).

With that said - a covered pot is GUARANTEEING a boilover.... I used to partially cover the pot when doing extract batches, but even then, you have to watch it like a hawk.

Evan! said:
Well, DMS is never a hard-and-fast rule, but it just increases the chances.

I'd suggest:

-Leaving the lid on while trying to get up to boiling, but removing the lid once you reach hot break.

-Going to WalMart, buying a $40 propane turkey fryer set, and leaving your kitchen stove to food prep.

Yeah I plan eventually getting a stand alone propane burner so i can do a full boil but for now I like being inside next to the sink for all the cleaning and whatnot.

Haven't really figured strategicly how I will boil outside and handle all my equipment

I wouldn't put the lid more than 50% over the pot once it starts to boil. let it vent that steam as much as possible.

the_bird said:
With that said - a covered pot is GUARANTEEING a boilover.... I used to partially cover the pot when doing extract batches, but even then, you have to watch it like a hawk.

Of course, that's assuming you have enough heat to cause that boilover. If the stove can't keep it at a boil uncovered, I doubt it would have enough to boil over by partially covering it, or maybe even fully covering it!

Scimmia said:
Of course, that's assuming you have enough heat to cause that boilover. If the stove can't keep it at a boil uncovered, I doubt it would have enough to boil over by partially covering it, or maybe even fully covering it!

Why don't you go do some research on that topic, and get back to us, m'kay?

Have fun shopping for a new stove!

Back