Using Brett C in an IPA in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
I've recently tried both Bitter Monk from Anchorage and Rayon Vert from Green Flash and found I love the Brett/hops combo and want to try something like this myself.

Last weekend I brewed up an IPA with the following recipe:

93% 2 Row
4% C-20
3% Munich 10L
1 oz Columbus FWH 60 mins
1 oz Centennial 10 mins
1 oz Simcoe 5 mins
1 oz Chinook 5 mins
2 oz Amarillo 0 mins
Mash @150
84 IBU

I understand that I'm going to have a less than ideal recipe for residual sugars being left in the beer for the Brett (I'm expecting an FG of about 1.010) I also fermented with WLP001 so the Brett won't have all those esters to feed off of as if I had used a Belgian yeast.

Is it worth using Brett C in a gallon of this for experimentations sake, or am I better off creating a recipe from scratch using a Belgian yeast and higher mash temps?

1.010 is still enough for the brett to munch on. personally, I'd go the route of doing a brett primary so you can retain more hoppiness. definitely nothing wrong with testing a gallon of this though, just make sure you dry hop after

Ideally I'd like to design a recipe from the ground up, but I need a wild card entry (pun intended) for a local contest that tends to favor atypical and hoppy beers.

I'm brewing a Smoked Stout for this contest, but I also would like to have a Brett themed IPA in case the Stout doesn't turn out as planned. Plus, it's fun to experiment.

Any idea for timeline on something like this if I add Brett C to secondary?

at least an extra month, but IIRC 3 is recommended to reduce the chance of bottle bombs.

FYI, a brett primary only takes about 5 weeks and produces a cleaner funk that'd let more hops show. you just need a pretty big starter (lager rates)

Back