First Brew yeast pitching ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm getting ready to take on my first brew. I'm doing a NB Irish Red extraction with yeast in a smack pack. I'm doing a full 5g boil with a late extraction addition (been reading a lot here) and using a glass carboy as my primary. I plan on transferring through a strainer/funnel. Do I pitch the yeast in the carboy then transfer, or transfer and then pitch on top? If I pitch on top do I then shake it up after? My instructions just say to pitch on top, but I figure those are basic and you guys know best.

Honestly, either is fine. Just make sure the wort is chilled down to the appropriate temp. 'Yeast + wort = beer' and 'Wort + yeast = beer'

I've had good results both way with dry yeast. I have lately decided that I would rather aerate first, then put the dry yeast on the foam that forms on the top. But with liquid yeast, it wouldn't matter so much, if at all.
As stated, you will make beer. Enjoy!

Thanks. No worries here, just clearing up a vague instruction while utilizing the info I've gained from your experience.

Cheers

Back