Fastest Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago1948

Reaction score
I brewed a german wheat beer yesterday that is fermenting like crazy. I missed my OG because of bad water management technique on my part so it started at about 1.42. I added a 1L starter (Wyeast 3333) at about 4:00 yesterday and it took off within about five hours. It is sitting in a better bottle in a Rubbermaid cooler with a modified top, surrounded by about 50% water. The wort was at about 60 degrees when I pitched and had warmed up to about 70 degrees by this morning. I am cooling it back down with frozen liter bottles. Just for background it is 5 lbs of German Pilsner, 3 lbs of white wheat, 2 lbs of flaked wheat and 1 lb of torrified wheat. I added just a little bit of bitter orange peel at flameout (don't tell the Germans). I have a carboy cap attached to a 1/2 inch hose sitting in a half gallon milk jug filled with water (and Starsan).

In any case, it is bubbling like I have never seen before. It is almost a constant flow of very large CO2 bubbles too fast to even measure. I could probably fill my tires with this output. Oddly, I am getting very little foam. I am guessing at this rate it is going to finish very quickly.

My question is, is there such a thing as too fast of a ferment? Will it produce any off flavors? Any advise other than making sure it is as close to ideal temps as possible? Should I be calling this a Weizen or a Weisse?

I think vigorous ferments are better myself. The IPA I put up yesterday afternoon is chugging like mad through the blow off now. No krausen to speak of coming out,just a lot of co2. Just keep your temps in the right range for the yeast you used. Should be great.:mug:

For beer? Probably not. The flavor you want comes from the ingredients, and beer overall isn't exactly for the connisseurs...

For wines? Cooler and slower is generally regarded as better. Hence why french wines are often fermented in cellars :)

I brewed using molasses a while ago, and it was so active it was almost...explosive. hahah. Just be careful - don't add anything in without stirring and leaving the gas to settle out first (I learned this one the hard way) and you might wanna put something under it in case it foams rapidly, if whatever's currently underneath it doesn't want to be covered in beer.

In my experience,A vigorous ferment makes a cleaner beer. I brew ales all the time,so it works well for those. Slow & cool/cold is for lagers,not ales.

I personally like to keep my temps on the low side of where the yeast are happy. I seem to get more consistent flavors that way. I would take a steady ferment over a vigorous one any day.

I personally like to keep my temps on the low side of where the yeast are happy. I seem to get more consistent flavors that way. I would take a steady ferment over a vigorous one any day.

Agreed. The funny flavors produced by a fast warm fermentation take a long time to clean up, if they ever clean up. I prefer to ferment at the lower end of the strains temp range. It gives me more control over the flavors the yeast imparts and produces a cleaner ale, IMO.

The yeast I used in the starter can take from 68-80+,it's at 73 right now. Did it before,& no off flavors. And if it does,they clean up quick. It nver makes anything permanent at reasonable temps.
Nothing in reality to argue about. You have to pretty high with a yeast that has a low upper limit to get what y'all are talkin about. Yes,low end of the yeast temps are good. I'm the one that preaches that so much. Just don't happen to have a/c this time to help keep it i n line during summer.

Well,I left from here to the cooper's forums to check my posts & whatnot. Then it hit me. I didn't want the temp strip to get wet & thus ruined. What to do,what to do? Bing,the lil light bulb goes off!
I remove the dark tee shirt from the fermenter,which isn't easy,since it's a tight fit with a bottle tree,2 fermenters,& a bottling bucket packed in on top of my brew stand. Not to mention,the blow off hose. I slid the tee off,with the neck going down around the blow off jug. Lift said jug & pull out tee shirt. I went to the kitchen sink to get it soaking wet. Rung it out just to the point where it won't drip & ruin the wood,etc on/in my brew stand. So,it's ready to go,I reverse the removal process to get it back in place. I then took an old mop handle placed against a spot just above the temp strip. I pull the wet tee over the poll sort of like a tent with the other end through the rungs of my bar stool to keep it in place. A fan trained on it would be good. wish I had one.

Back