First Brew Issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triletter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if I have a problem or just really slow fermentation. My first brew on May 29 is from Papazan’s book Rightous American Real Ale. Brewed as extract per the recipe and OG was 1.039 (1.040 for recipe). Pitched the reconstituted dry yeast per the instructions at the heart of the recommended temps.(Danstar Windsor yeast). Had a full krausen the next morning with the bubbler oozing krausen. Had some temperature swings (65-72) and have since stabilized temp at 67 with fridge and controller. No activity on 9 Jun, but a SG of 1.023 several days in a row. Expected FG should be 1.010 to 1.007. Based on an experienced brewer friend, put Safale 05 in. Some activity for a couple of days. By the 17th no activity and an SG of 1.020 with lots of yeast in suspension from the racking port. Same thing today with very cloudy “beer” that settles in about 20 minutes for a 1.020 reading. Recommendations on how to proceed?

From my experience with dry yeast they seem to have a vigorous first couple days and actually finish of in 4. I thought I had a stuck fermentation checked the gravity and it was 1.014 after only 4 days. But this seems kind of different since your readings were much higher even after pitching more yeast.

What additions did you use with your recipe?

The cloudiness could be from unsettled yeast, did you transport the vessel previous to siphoning it?

Scambledegg81: Just rehydrated per the instructions on the packet. Seemed to get a good start and then had some temp fluctuations then all activity stopped.

Brew 4iT; no additions other than the recipe. The recipe is for 2 gal, but brewed as 5 gal.1.5 oz Cascade pellets for 1 hour and 0.5 oz Williamette in final 1 minute.

Taste of green beer is OK; just like flat beer.

Latest posts

Back