Shipping liquid yeast overseas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraordnance

Reaction score
search doesnt show much, may be somebody from Europe or Alaska with relevant experience can help with answer. I can get liquid yeast shipped from AHS or Morebeer but I'm worried if it will show up alive. I have an order of brewing equipment from Morebeer on the way and its been a week with no signs of it yet, I expect 8-10 day shipping to Canada is normal :( will liquid yeast survive this long? Winter is coming, 28 F already outside. Will be MUCH colder

search doesnt show much, may be somebody from Europe or Alaska with relevant experience can help with answer. I can get liquid yeast shipped from AHS or Morebeer but I'm worried if it will show up alive. I have an order of brewing equipment from Morebeer on the way and its been a week with no signs of it yet, I expect 8-10 day shipping to Canada is normal :( will liquid yeast survive this long? Winter is coming, 28 F already outside. Will be MUCH colder

Cell count will likely drop, but it will remain viable. Just make sure you use a starter to ensure a healthy pitching rate.

as long as you're making a starter with it, you should be OK. I would probably avoid shipping it when it's -40 out though, but I have had liquid strains freeze and still survive. With a two-stage stepped-up starter, you really only need a relative handful of the hundred BILLION cells in there to remain viable.

And I'm sure there are retailers in Calgary that have liquid strains in stock, shipped on cold packs overnight direct from wyeast - there are in Edmonton. Stock up on a few packs next time you're there (or here), and keep them in the back of your fridge. With starters, they should remain useful for at least 6 to 8 months, if not more.

as long as you're making a starter with it, you should be OK. I would probably avoid shipping it when it's -40 out though, but I have had liquid strains freeze and still survive. With a two-stage stepped-up starter, you really only need a relative handful of the hundred BILLION cells in there to remain viable.

And I'm sure there are retailers in Calgary that have liquid strains in stock, shipped on cold packs overnight direct from wyeast - there are in Edmonton. Stock up on a few packs next time you're there (or here), and keep them in the back of your fridge. With starters, they should remain useful for at least 6 to 8 months, if not more.

Where are at Edmonton, do you know the place? I work a lot around city, I drive there 40-50 days a year. I'm trying to locate WLP400, WLP550 or something similar for my next batch of Belgian White beer. In fact next 3 weeks starting Monday Im in Edmonton (St.Albert, Spruce Groove) every day for work :D
So far I was only able to find on-line store in Ontario, but they dont stock these strains

Southside Winning Wines plus carries Wyeast. Call ahead to reserve some if you'd like, they place orders every 6 weeks or so if you want something specially ordered (like Brett or the seasonal strains).

It's just off 111st at 51st Av, if I recall correctly

Southside Winning Wines plus carries Wyeast. Call ahead to reserve some if you'd like, they place orders every 6 weeks or so if you want something specially ordered (like Brett or the seasonal strains).

It's just off 111st at 51st Av, if I recall correctly

Thanks a lot! Our LHBS dont stock anything so I will need to shop in Edmonton for my brew days

Back