LIGHT DRINKABLE ALE please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastendershomebrew

Reaction score
lOOKING FOR A GOOD KIT OR RECIPE FOR A LIGHT LIGER OR ALE... SOMETHING I CAN KEEP ON TAP AT THE HOUSE FOR ALL MY GUESTS WHO DON'T APPRECIATE GOOD BEER. SOMETHING COMPARABLE TO AN AMERICAN LIGHT BEER. iT WILL BE FOR MY FATHER, STEP FATHER, FATHER IN LAW, ALL THE DADS. thanks. By the way my first post..

I just did a cream ale;for my dad who wont drink any thing but whiskey or bud.I dont know how it will turn out but i think thats the direction u want to go in.

Welcome to the board, but man that is a lot of capital letters. I normally only use one at a time, then take a break for a little bit.

Here is one to consider - my own recipe. I made it for the same purpose, to try to get "BMC" drinkers comfortable with a really good beer, but not taking them to the limit.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/extra-pale-ale-93981/

You could even the hops load a little if you really wanted to keep it "accessible."

Here's the thing, though. The lesson I took from making this was that you can't really improve on BMC if that's what some people prefer, so I stopped trying. This beer was just good enough to disappoint the people who like my beers (or craft brewed pale ales in general) but still too rich in taste to win over the BMC drinkers.

Since then, I've rolled my eyes and gone out for a case of Yeunglings for those folks.

Here's one that I put together for an extract brewing friend of mine. He's brewed it a few times and really likes it. You can pitch US-05, WLP001, WY1056, or Nottingham in this easier than the lager yeasts.

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Cerveza
Brewer: mmb
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Premium American Lager
TYPE: Extract 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
6 lbs         Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)         Dry Extract  92.31 %       
4.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)     Grain        3.85 %        
4.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)     Grain        3.85 %        
1.00 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (60 min)            Hops         19.0 IBU      
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
1 Pkgs        American Lager (White Labs #WLP840)       Yeast-Lager                
1 Pkgs        Mexican Lager (White Labs #WLP940)        Yeast-Lager                

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

I would second the suggestion for the "Cream of Three Crops". Just search for it on the forums or follow the link above. Very easy to make and very drinkable. Tastes very similar to any of the BMC light beers out there. Use WLP001 to make this a very clean, quick beer.

WILLIAM'S HONEY CREAM ALE is a 'hands-down' favorite among the Bud crowd.

Sounds like there's not much of a recipe involved.

A very drinkable brew can be made from Light of Xtra light LME or DME, a neutral yeast like Safale 05 and moderate bittering and maybe flavor hopping.

You can lighten it a little further by adding a pound of corn syrup or rice extract.

You could make a beer and only bottle 9 oz per bottle. Then when serving just add water to give it a Bud taste. No, but really Cream Ale is the way to go.

here is a weird twist.. I had ordered the blonde ale extract from morebeer and used Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II yeast from northern brewer and there was really no signiture blonde taste, it was very blah and drinkable... my step dad loved it... i think my next post will be for a good blonde ale recipe or kit... lol. i appreciate all the good advice, i am looking towards maybe a pale ale..

the cream of the three crops seems like a good idea, however i need an extract kit because i am still working on puting together my all grain equipment.. any suggestions??

Here's one that I put together for an extract brewing friend of mine. He's brewed it a few times and really likes it. You can pitch US-05, WLP001, WY1056, or Nottingham in this easier than the lager yeasts.

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Cerveza
Brewer: mmb
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Premium American Lager
TYPE: Extract 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
6 lbs         Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)         Dry Extract  92.31 %       
4.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)     Grain        3.85 %        
4.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)     Grain        3.85 %        
1.00 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (60 min)            Hops         19.0 IBU      
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
1 Pkgs        American Lager (White Labs #WLP840)       Yeast-Lager                
1 Pkgs        Mexican Lager (White Labs #WLP940)        Yeast-Lager                

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

That recipe is really close to a typical blonde recipe. The only change would be a clean ale yeast (1056, WLP001, S-05, etc.). I've done a few variations of that recipe and it is always approachable.

Eric

I'd also suggest Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. If you're worried about being overly hoppy, just scale the hops down a tickle or change the style of hops used.

I just kegged my batch tonight (3rd week, straight out of primary) and it's gotta be one of the tastiest beers i've ever brewed.

Latest posts

Back