Fermcap in Starter, No Fermcap in Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
If I use fermcap in my starter (hefe yeast last couple times blew the top off my buckets), 3-4 drops in, would that be effective in the fermentor as well? Trying to avoid adding too much or overdoing it, and avoiding a mess this time.

No. Couldn't really tell you why, but I use fermcap in every starter I do. All my fermentations still foam like crazy. I do decant all my starters so maybe that's why.

However, I never add it to the fermentor at all. I can't comment on it's efficacy. I just leave plenty of headspace and use a blowoff tube.

No. Couldn't really tell you why, but I use fermcap in every starter I do. All my fermentations still foam like crazy. I do decant all my starters so maybe that's why.

However, I never add it to the fermentor at all. I can't comment on it's efficacy. I just leave plenty of headspace and use a blowoff tube.

Using buckets and have a larger tube shoved into the grommet for blow off but it usually clogs pretty well and then POP.... I did add it to a Tripel I did , while I'm not sure if it helped or not since I'm not sure if it's as crazy as the hefe yeast but I barely knew it was fermenting (bucket leaks too).

Hm maybe I'll just add it to both, does adding too much leave a "taste"? I looking to see if it changes the taste of the brew with no results, guessing a couple drops can't do much really.

Nah. But there is a limit of x parts per million. I don't know what it is or how it relates. A few drops isn't even gonna come close though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I often use in starter, boil and fermenter, but I keep it below the limit for the batch. 1 drop (maybe 2 tops) really should be plenty for starter. I usually only need 2-4 drops for boil (5.5gal batch) and then 3-4 drops into fermenter. I've never needed to go to the upper limit, it has never been necessary. For the boil I only add enough drops to keep things in check, which is not much.

When I eventually upgrade to a larger batch size I fully intend to get much larger containers so I don't need to use fermcapS at all. So anywhere you don't need to use it, than don't use it.

So anywhere you don't need to use it, than don't use it.

Ya I only bought some to just basically use with the hefe and Belgium yeasts, they seem to blow the top every time I brew one, which the wife doesn't enjoy. :) I was mostly interested if the drops I add to the starter will also effect the wort in the fermenter, so I wouldn't need to add more to that.

Back