Stuck Fermtation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mingo

Reaction score
OK, I think I have a stuck fermentation. I brewed a partial grain Surly Cynic on Thursday 1/16. The next morning I had a good steady fermentation going, but the temperature was a bit low for the yeast at 65 degrees (Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes 65-85 degrees). Before leaving town for the weekend I turned the heat up in the basement to bring those temps up. Unknowingly, the wife went in after and turned the heat down. When we got home I checked the beer and no activity, the temp was down to 62 degrees.
I have begun to bring the temp back up now, should I attempt to agitate the yeast too and if so how do I do so? The beer is in a bucket not a carboy.

If you have a hydrometer, first take a sample and see if the gravity has dropped. If it hasnt dropped to the final gravity that you wanted, then you could rouse the yeast. Make sure you sanitize before grabbing that sample!!

Oh ya, look for signs of fermantation too....the big ring of krausen in your fermentor. That should give you a hint if anything happened while you were away.

Very little evidence of krausen. I gave it a rouse earlier today, if by tomorrow morning I don't see any activity I'll take a gravity reading and let you know the results. If nothing changes tomorrow is a re-pitch an option?

Patients does the trick. Warmed the fermentation vessel with a heating pad, gave it a little time and it started it back.

Latest posts

Back