As Promised: Lots of Hop Whore / MHBC Witbier Pics!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
As if any of you monkeys really give a sh*t what Evan! is doing on his beautiful Friday afternoon off...

My brewhouse, a mess of hops and malt, trying to reign in chaos...

brewhouse.jpg

ah, purdy hops!
hops11.jpg

HopWhore Additions:
hops2.jpg

Witbier Mashed In:
witmash.jpg

I love mash-hopping IPA's!
hopwhoremash.jpg

Sadie's just chillin (but don't f*ck wit her, yo):
sadie14march.jpg

Xander's hunting squirrels...
xanmarch14.jpg

And me, I'm drinking Steffiweizenbock from keg #3. I have to say, I have changed my tune on tall glasses. Yum!
wbock.jpg

Direct-fired mashing. The only way to fly. And some Dylan on the iPod. Visions of Johanna, indeed.
2mashes14march.jpg

All cleaned up. Hit the wit grav spot-on. The IPA, well, I was measuring the kettle vol with a CPVC tube, and I thought I was getting low, so I sparged a little more than I should have, and...ended up with more than I wanted, and 5 points low. Darn. More beer. Less druck. Oh well. I tossed in a bunch of stray amarillo that I found in a tub...so my IBU's are much higher than the recipe sayeth...
lineupmarch14.jpg

Gooood stuff:
hwwbdone.jpg

So...I now am into my taller glasses, and I apologize to all the HBT'ers who I denigrated during my "anything other than goblets is heresy" phase. I also take back (partially) my bashing of Fermentis' WB-06. This wiezenbock just needed some aging. It's no Aventinus, to be sure, but it's damn good.

Here's to brewing. I'm a bit druck. Well, way druck, but sober enough to navigate this idiotic gallery upload page...

A great day. My friend/coworker balled out of the office about an hour after me and hung wit me for the afternoon. Like I said earlier---life is good. Cheers!

nice spread mate. i dig the yellow arse wall! we got one like that in the kitchen. i didn't think it would work but apparently got used to it.

there's still a few inches of snow here in cleveland, but the robins are back, spring is in the air and i'm brewing again on saturday. i'm diggin' the thursday night brew session though.

:mug:

Cheers bud. That is a good day right there.

So as far as the mash-hopping business goes...why? Is it so the grain will filter what would otherwise be difficult/time-consuming to extract aa's from the leaf hops, and leave you with no volume occupancy in the boil, or what?

i brewed last night, but got into the barley wine from last year as i was chilling....

funny thing is, all the brew gear is clean, the wort is fermenting, and i've no recollection of the tear down/clean up! :ban:

those are some beautiful dogs! and the rest of the pictures are pretty cool, to :D

good to hear the WB-06 turned out ok, i've been looking to try the LHBS dry wheat yeast...probably the same thing.

i'm brewing a chocolate stout this weekend...maybe tonight...

:mug:

uglygoat said:
funny thing is, all the brew gear is clean, the wort is fermenting, and i've no recollection of the tear down/clean up! :ban:

That's the best part of having people "stay over" after a long brewday turn party evening. Everything is clean, there's 15 gallons bubbling away, 150 new bottles, and you don't know wtf just happened. Ahhhh yes....

mrkristofo said:

So as far as the mash-hopping business goes...why? Is it so the grain will filter what would otherwise be difficult/time-consuming to extract aa's from the leaf hops, and leave you with no volume occupancy in the boil, or what?

Flavor. Do some web searching on it. But the short version is you take a whack load of hops and add them to the mash and you will get a nice mellow flavor/aroma later on.

mrkristofo said:

No, it's got nothing to do with that---you're not extract alpha acids because you're not boiling the hops. It's just a way to add a smoother, more uniform, more integrated hop flavor/aroma to hop-centric beers. I think this is what I read before I started doing it on my IPA's.

Cookiebaggs said:
Evan!,

Do your GSP's hunt?

nah. we live in the city. they're both rescue dogs. Xander hunts squirrels in the backyard, that's about it---but if he was trained better, I bet he'd be a great hunter. Sadie, well, she couldn't care less about small animals or birds, and thunder/gunshots scare her half to death.

Thanks Evan! that was great. I have been so busy lately that I haven't been able to brew for awhile and I almost felt like I was, looking at your pictures. Very much appreciated. There's nothing better than brewing with a buddy, sharing some good brews, and relaxing to some tunes on a beautiful day. Damn, I've got to make some time for brewing.

Cheers

Evan! said:
So...I now am into my taller glasses, and I apologize to all the HBT'ers who I denigrated during my "anything other than goblets is heresy" phase. I also take back (partially) my bashing of Fermentis' WB-06. This wiezenbock just needed some aging. It's no Aventinus, to be sure, but it's damn good.

My weizenbock was praised as one of my best, but I also thought it fell pretty far short of Aventinus. It was also my only (so far) partial mash recipe. As for glasses, you just have to use the right glass for the job. Sometimes it's a big job! :drunk:

Update...the wit is already done. Here's to bigass starters! But I gotta say, that Forbidden Fruit yeast is stanky when it's workin. It's nearly as sulfury as cider yeast! I tried a sample and it's at 1.014 and smells like rotten eggs...but tastes delicious. Like froot loops! The hopwhore is blowing off as we speak. I love this time of year...I don't have to mess with anything, temps stay correct throughout.

Back