Brewhemoth IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
I bought a Brewhemoth IC back in the day when I got my Brewhemoth, but found out that I have absolutely no idea how to properly hook it up, that is, I don't know how to keep what would be circulating in there cool. I read Yuri_Rage's thread on building a chilled conical and was wondering if pumping Refridgerant through it would be a good idea. I have a small dorm fridge I don't mind sacrificing for this project. Would this be a good idea? Is there anything I should know? Ideally, I'd like to use this to be able to lager/force carb ferment.

I was think of putting a tub of coolant, something like glycol in a minifridge and using a pond or aquarium pump to circulate it through the coil. I haven't done this, bit its an option to consider and wouldn't cost too much.

fork said:
I was think of putting a tub of coolant, something like glycol in a minifridge and using a pond or aquarium pump to circulate it through the coil. I haven't done this, bit its an option to consider and wouldn't cost too much.

From what I understand, until it gets down to temperature, it will be hard to maintain the glycol temperature. Additionally, the glycol will never be able to fully cool once it's heated up to whatever it equalizes to

I used one several times in my bh. Have a chest freezer with 2gal glycol mixed with 2gal water that pumped through the thinger. Held temps fine. Have a larger box that cools itself now, so don't need it anymore. Prob sell it. Helps to stretch the coils apart a bit to make cleaning easier.

Back