My first recipe. Looking for feed back.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhettoDickens

Reaction score
I am about to do my first AG brew and wanted to do a wheat beer. I just started using BeerSmith so I, more or less, took a wiezen recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles" and tweaked it for my set up, and to fit in the Weizen/Weissbier guidelines. Here is what I came up with...

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3068 (2 packs)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.011
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90 (*I chose 90 min because of the recipe I am reffering to in Brewing Classic Styles*)
Color: 4.0 SRM

5 lbs 2 oz of Pilsner (2 row) Bel
5 lbs 2 oz of Wheat Malt, Ger
3.6 oz Munich Malt
0.5 lbs of Rice Hulls
0.64 oz of Hallertauer Hops (90 min)

Mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees F.

------------------------

My main concerns are the the addition of the Munich malt, which I did to raise the SRM, and the boil time. In Brewing Classic Styles it says to increase the boil time for All Grain from 60min to 90min to reduce DMS.

What do you think. Is this a beer worth brewing?

Oh yea, and maybe I should note my setup...(I set my efficiency to 65% on BeerSmith since it is my first time doing AG)

-48qt mash tun (There is only about 10.5 lbs of grain. I am hoping my mash tun isn't too big for this...)
-7.5 and 9 gal Kettles.

The only issue with increasing the boil time is that you increase the evaporation, and thus you'd need to increase the amount of water used. You can tweak the sparge settings in BS to accommodate the extra water, or just top off in the kettle. Your choice.
Other than that, recipe looks good. Not sure why you need the rice halls (you are using malted wheat, and there's enough disatetic power in your grain to convert everything you need) but they wont hurt. I generally do a 90 min mash (better efficiency, slightly better conversion, especially in low temps) but 60 min is fine. I would recommend taking a gravity reading as soon as you are done sparging, and figuring out your into-kettle efficiency. If you do that, you'll know what's the total amount of gravity points in your kettle, and you can play with boil time and top-off to get to the volume you want.
Good luck

That's a very small amount of munich for a 5 gal batch. Looks like a goof hef recipe though.

Back