The First Cider Post

• Thread starter FrischkornHomeBrew
  • Start date
Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

FrischkornHomeBrew

OK everyone has one right?
I went pretty simple 5 Gal of Murray's Apple Cider and some Red Star Champagne yeast. Been sitting in a 5gal fermenter for several weeks already and may bottle it mid to end of October. Hope to have some to give away for Christmas if it tastes ok if not may put it away till next year.

So how do you thing this will turn out for a first batch.

Also Started 2 more 1 gal batches w/ some Murray's Apple Juice and a cup of Savannah cinnamon mix but that batch had yet to start fermenting so I am just going to keep on eye on that and hope for the best.

Thanks

the second cider post is usually something like, WTF This stuff tastes like a. white wine b. calvados c. shoe polish d. caper mustard vinagrette, instead of the sweet appley apple juice that went in there at the beginning, what did i do wrong?? as long as you know that it's gonna taste wine-ish and dry, and will definitely improve within a few months, it sounds like you're going good. my guess is that with relatively low alcohol it should taste nice by xmas, and if it's harsh for friends with softer palettes, you can subject some of it to the various backsweetening techniques discussed on this board.
i also like experimenting with small batches and occasionally trying something weird, something you could easily do is try different yeast strains

Back