Portable Options: Jockey Box vs. Modified Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
Thinking of how I would be the envy of the guys in my neighborhood if I brought homebrew draft to my neighborhood pool, I have been following the 3 gal Igloo Cooler conversion thread. Not really wanting to buy 3 gallon kegs, I have also looked in to jockey boxes. I have come across this guy on Craigslist http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/2439657258.html

It seems like a decent price. What kind of issues might I face by removing a carbed keg from my kegerator, taking it to the pool, serving it through the jockey box at 90 degrees outside? Of course if went with this set up I would pick up a smaller CO2 tank.

I just feel like there is something I am missing as the amount of threads I see on jockey boxes vs. other methods of serving portable drafts is much less.

I have a jockey box and love it. I use it to bring beer to the river where we camp and share it. I suppose that price is ok, you could buy the parts brand new for the same amount. I want to say it cost me about $130 for the coil kit with faucet, I already had the CO2 tank & regulator and a cooler to sacrifice.

Not sure how cooling-heating-cooling etc. the beer is going to effect it, I try to avoid it but it may not be a big deal if you're not doing it too many times. I typically brew beer specifically to bring with me, so it stays warm in the keg start to finish.

Here's the kit I bought
I believe i got it from kegworks if I'm not mistaken...

That's a good price the aluminum tank alone is worth $100. It looks like a 120' coil which is over $100 as well. If you need a 20 pound tank I would pick it up.

Back