Porter or Stout, Coffee or Coco Powder. Need Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason29307

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am think about my next 5 gallon brew and I am wanting to brew a Porter Or Stout. I am thinking about using Coffee or Coco powder or both?
What do you guys think? Have you guys ever used these ingredients before? and if so how much did you use and what part of the brewing session did you use it? I was also thinking about tinkering with some vanilla beans? Anyone used any of these three in a combination? Or by them self?
Please let me know your stories, thoughts, and any issues.
and last but not least, how did it turn out?
Thanks guys

I did a stout with cocoa before Xmas and it truned out really well. It was a good extract recipe form the LHBS and I added Hersheys bitter cocoa powder about a cup in the full 60 minute boil. The chocolate taste is minor just as the malt is coming into the mouth. People tell me they can taste the chocolate but is not over powering.
Good Luck

jason,

I brewed an espresso Porter last year. It was very good. I added 16 oz. of brewed espresso to the bottling bucket.

NRS

I did a chocolate stout last fall. I put 2 oz of hersheys cocoa powder in at flame out ant then another 2 in the secondary for a week. I used 3/4 lb of lactose in it too because I heard it gives it a bit of a milk chocolate flavor. I also heard vanilla can smooth out chocolate flavor so I added a tbsp of extract at bottling. I only used a bittering hop addition and skipped the flavoring so the chocolate would be more perceptable. It really turned out great and I'm going to make it again. I'm working out of town and typing this on my crackberry so I can't get you the recipe. If I get a chance later ill put it up for you.

Thanks for all the reply's guys. I will deffinatly be using these in my next brew, When I get it down, I will tell you guys the recipe and see what you guys think. I think I might use all three and maybe us some lactose.
Take care all
Jason

Latest posts

Back