My hops growing plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMarquis

Reaction score
First time grower here.

I've got a 20' long wall that is 8' high. My idea is to put a half oak barrel at each end of the wall and run twine from each barrel to the top of the center of the wall. This will give me about 13' of twine for each vine to grow on. Will the vines follow the twine at such a sharp angle? What should I expect when they meet at the top? I plan to have both vines be the same variety, cascade.

you will just have to train them by hand each year. That is a relatively sharp angle but they should grow with your guidance.

I have two bines growing outside the back porch of my office. They go vertical for 8' and then horizontal for another 8-10'. The vertical was no problem but I had to train the bines once they got to the horizontal since they always wanted to go vertical. They still grew and produced well. I just had to "guide" them every couple days until they got to the end of the rope.

Once your bines meet in the middle you will have a tangled mess. Since you are planning the same variety it should not be a problem. One big benefit of your plan is that you can harvest the hops as they ripen without cutting the bines down which will really increase your production.

Back