Eggs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha! That's actually eerily accurate based on so little data :)

My mattress is passed its lifespan and as soon as I finish painting my bedroom, instead of working on the basement bar, I'm ordering a new bedroom set!

Thanks for playing

After reading this, my lunch was a 3 egg scramble with onions and peppers, with some salsa on top. Tasty, but could have used some heat.

But I'm surprised to see all the hate against hard boiled eggs. They're great for a quick snack when I only want something small, or when I'm feeling too lazy to make toast. Eggs in any form are great, tho. We get them from a friend who has chickens. Home grown is the way to go!

I'm not sure if I want to participate or want to be really turned o...I mean freaked out.

If your deductive reasoning for "guessing" Emjay was a swimmer was actually your true reasoning, than you know far more about eggs, egg preparation / presentation, and location of eatery than I ever would.

Smite me oh mighty smiter!

Creamy's detective act is so Sherlock, but I like to think of Creamy looking more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuhPPOXnyKo

I just broke out into audible laughter.

Passed, I would say, with a certain amount of certainty and bravado, that you prefer a soft mattress. In fact, mattresses at hotels are often too hard for you.

I'm game. I like long walks on the beach and college football.

I think you are a trick question, my new friend. From what I know about you, which is almost nothing, I have a feeling that you couldnt care less. When the urge to sleep hits, you are sleeping. Whether its in the car, on the couch, or any bed that is handy. I bet you have also camped out with a root up your back that woke you up the next morning, and slept like a baby through the night.

I just broke out into audible laughter.

Passed, I would say, with a certain amount of certainty and bravado, that you prefer a soft mattress. In fact, mattresses at hotels are often too hard for you.

The Great Creamini! Why yes, I do like the soft mattress! Tho, when tired I've been known to sleep deeply on a Yosemite picnic table, under a truck, while driving, and on the pillowy form of a woman.

Sometimes my wife talks about getting a few chickens. I suspect Boss Bailey would kill them, but not before one of her toy poodles got pecked to death. So, no chickens. I love deviled eggs and hate making them.

Sometimes my wife talks about getting a few chickens. I suspect Boss Bailey would kill them, but not before one of her toy poodles got pecked to death. So, no chickens. I love deviled eggs and hate making them.

My brother (member here) has 4 dogs and 6 chickens. They intermingle fine. Plus, fresh eggs every morning (no roosters). They are suprisingly quiet, but tear up the yard and garden with their scratching. I'd love to have some.

Hehe, I have not yet begun to do analysis of the data. I will, however, say with 75% certainty, that you are most likely a firm mattress sleeper.

Interesting, in all honesty, I'm not certain just what firmness my mattress is.
I suppose it says on it somewhere, but I'm not going to start looking now. I'd guess it's just medium or regular, but it's old & sags a bit in the middle; guess I'll have to go mattress shopping one of these days, then I'll find out for sure.

As for the liquor thing...
I drink mostly non-liquor (beer, wine, etc...), but I do enjoy a well made kamikaze. Lemonade & gin is good too. In winter it's either a hot, buttered rum or a hot B-52.
Regards, GF.

CreamyGoodness said:
I think you are a trick question, my new friend. From what I know about you, which is almost nothing, I have a feeling that you couldnt care less. When the urge to sleep hits, you are sleeping. Whether its in the car, on the couch, or any bed that is handy. I bet you have also camped out with a root up your back that woke you up the next morning, and slept like a baby through the night.

Pretty much nailed it - too funny! My wife jokes that I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow. I have camped with a rock, not a stick in my back and didn't realize it until morning. If I had a preference it's firm, but wouldn't spend the money on a new mattress for the experience!

gratus fermentatio said:
a hot B-52.

God, it's been ages since I've had one of those, though I don't think I've had a hot one other than as a B-52 coffee.

Admittedly delicious, but the 80s ended decades ago... you need to leave that **** behind!

makomachine said:
If I had a preference it's firm, but wouldn't spend the money on a new mattress for the experience!

I'm the exact opposite - good sleep is of the utmost importance to me, and I will definitely "spend money on [insert mattress, pillow, sheets, or other sleeping paraphernalia here] for the experience".

People spend like ⅓ of their lives in bed. With that fact in mind, and knowing how proper sleep can greatly affect your day - and by extension, your life, since you sleep every day - I have no problem justifying the expense of a top notch mattress. In fact, I have a hard time justifying NOT spending the money... I can't think of a single thing that, dollar for dollar, has as significant an impact on my life as a bed does.

I just can't see how anybody can justify cheaping out unless they're totally broke and can't afford *ANY* luxuries or savings. As passionate as I am about brewing, I would sell all my gear (about $6k retail, in my estimation) and stop brewing if that's what was needed to afford a mattress. Hell, the impact it can have on one's day-to-day functioning is so great that I'd consider it an investment. An essential investment. So much so, that investing in my sleep makes it far more likely that I can both have an expensive, high quality bed AND still afford to brew with all my shiny brewing bling, as it allows me to be more productive and more effective at everything I do, thus even allowing me to potentially *earn* more.

And I am being 100% serious. :fro:

emjay said:
I'm the exact opposite - good sleep is of the utmost importance to me, and I will definitely "spend money on [insert mattress, pillow, sheets, or other sleeping paraphernalia here] for the experience".

People spend like ⅓ of their lives in bed. With that fact in mind, and knowing how proper sleep can greatly affect your day - and by extension, your life, since you sleep every day - I have no problem justifying the expense of a top notch mattress. In fact, I have a hard time justifying NOT spending the money... I can't think of a single thing that, dollar for dollar, has as significant an impact on my life as a bed does.

I just can't see how anybody can justify cheaping out unless they're totally broke and can't afford *ANY* luxuries or savings. As passionate as I am about brewing, I would sell all my gear (about $6k retail, in my estimation) and stop brewing if that's what was needed to afford a mattress. Hell, the impact it can have on one's day-to-day functioning is so great that I'd consider it an investment. An essential investment. So much so, that investing in my sleep makes it far more likely that I can both have an expensive, high quality bed AND still afford to brew with all my shiny brewing bling, as it allows me to be more productive and more effective at everything I do, thus even allowing me to potentially *earn* more.

And I am being 100% serious. :fro:

I can understand all of that - but as I said, I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow. My wife has actually timed me at 4 minutes as it really annoys her!

Sleep is valuable - and on that note, I'm going to go get some. T-minus 5 min and counting! :)

makomachine said:
I can understand all of that - but as I said, I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow. My wife has actually timed me at 4 minutes as it really annoys her!

Sleep is valuable - and on that note, I'm going to go get some. T-minus 5 min and counting! :)

Woah... 4 minutes?

Do you feel sleepy during the day? And how about dreams... Do you think you might have abnormally frequent and vivid dreams and nightmares? You ever done a sleep study?

If those questions seem too personal, don't answer them, and I apologize.

emjay said:
Woah... 4 minutes?

Do you feel sleepy during the day? And how about dreams... Do you think you might have abnormally frequent and vivid dreams and nightmares? You ever done a sleep study?

If those questions seem too personal, don't answer them, and I apologize.

Emjay - not too personal and glad you asked as I know where you are headed. Sleep Apnea is bad news and glad to see you reach out with a "concern question". I sleep with a CPAP and have remedied sleep apnea. I'm blessed with a combination gift of shutting my brain off which aids in relaxation AND ankylosing spondylitis, an autoimmune disease that keeps me pretty exhausted.

Interesting, in all honesty, I'm not certain just what firmness my mattress is.
I suppose it says on it somewhere, but I'm not going to start looking now. I'd guess it's just medium or regular, but it's old & sags a bit in the middle; guess I'll have to go mattress shopping one of these days, then I'll find out for sure.

I just have to step in and defend that poor mattress.

I'm also regular, and I'm old and sag a bit in the middle.

But I sure hope I'm not about to be replaced! :p

Can't eat eggs (similar reaction as lactose intolerance, which I do not have). When I used to eat eggs (aka before I was 8-9 years old) I liked them all as long as there was salsa on them lol.

I prefer a quite firm mattress

makomachine said:
AND ankylosing spondylitis, an autoimmune disease that keeps me pretty exhausted.

My father has ankylosing spondylitis, how old were you when diagnosed? His is fairly bad so I understand where you r coming from since he has to sleep sitting up

Goofynewfie said:
My father has ankylosing spondylitis, how old were you when diagnosed? His is fairly bad so I understand where you r coming from since he has to sleep sitting up

I've had it since I was 19 and I'm 41. As is other things in life, you learn to 'deal with it' and don't let it control your life. I have to make accommodations obviously but you play the cards you are dealt.

He was on his midteens when diagnosed amd is 68 now. He has had many surgeries over the years but was able to do almost everything he wanted until recently.

My go-to eggs are not in any order, just depends on who can do them right (based on experience):

1) Eggs in a Basket. NOM! SWMBO is the best at these.
2) Over-medium. NOBODY can get this right except me, SWMBO, and this tiny hole-in-the-wall diner in the outskirts of Reno. Their usually way too runny or hard in most places.
3) Scrambled. Pretty simple but you'd be amazed at how easily they're messed up.
4) Benedict, but SWMBO and I have our own special way of doing it: potato/apple latkes as the bottom instead of english muffin, bacon weave candied with all-spice and cayenne instead of ham steak, and then traditional poached egg and hollandaise on top. It's infinitely better than a normal Benedict.

Regardless of how I get them (except Benedict) I load them up with Cholula hot sauce, by a WIDE margin the best hot sauce (Tabasco? Pfft, GTFO)

EDIT: For those of you who enjoy cooking eggs yourself, seasoning with salt and pepper during or before you cook them is significantly better than putting them on after the fact.

God, it's been ages since I've had one of those, though I don't think I've had a hot one other than as a B-52 coffee.

Admittedly delicious, but the 80s ended decades ago... you need to leave that **** behind!

OK, I'm always up for a new (well, new to me) drink, what would you suggest I replace a hot B-52 with? :confused:
Regards, GF.

I just have to step in and defend that poor mattress.

I'm also regular, and I'm old and sag a bit in the middle.

But I sure hope I'm not about to be replaced! :p

Hi Yoop!
According to your profile, I'm actually 2 months older than you, so believe me when I say "You're NOT old!" :ban:
And I doubt anybody could or would replace you. :)
Regards, GF.

Here's a recipe that could make even the most dedicated Creamy-hater love me.

Make a Christmas goose, and collect the goosefat, strained, in a clean jar or coffee can. Next morning, use about a tablespoon cut with a little butter to make two over easy eggs (or eggs in a basket). Add a wee bit more goose fat and sear a hamsteak.

This is THE single best rendition of ham n'eggs you will ever have. Trust me on this one.

Now, who else needs their mattress choice guessed? So far I'm kicking butt like a Chinese olympian.

So, this is one of those five minute prep type of dishes then?!?!

Make a GOOSE?!?!?

Yeah, I do that all the time!

Hehehehe, well when you put it that way it sounds ridiculous!

Hehe... no what I mean is when you are all done with Christmahanaquanzika festivities, save the goose fat you would normally throw away!

And if you have never or plan to never make a goose... I just shed a little tear.

CreamyGoodness said:
Hehehehe, well when you put it that way it sounds ridiculous!

Hehe... no what I mean is when you are all done with Christmahanaquanzika festivities, save the goose fat you would normally throw away!

And if you have never or plan to never make a goose... I just shed a little tear.

How does goose taste compared to turkey dark meat? I have heard its a darker meat and just wanted to see if you had a comparison item so I don't have to cook a goose to find out I wouldn't like it!

I'd say it is stronger in flavor and a wee bit gamier than darkmeat turkey. If you were to cut into it raw (which I wouldnt advise) its almost as red as beef is!! I would say it is much closer to duck than to turkey, but a bit more irony and toothsome if that makes sense. Texturewise, it is considerably moister than the dark bits on the turkey because of that gorgeous blanket of fat that keeps it warm when it is on the water. The crispy skin is a lot closer to a porkrind in texture (boo ya!) than turkey skin as well.

I only make it once a year if that though, because of all the hours of roasting and tending and basting. You have to devote a lot of time to it, and you cant be too drunk when you do so.

Oh, and unplug the smoke detector.

CreamyGoodness said:
I'd say it is stronger in flavor and a wee bit gamier than darkmeat turkey. If you were to cut into it raw (which I wouldnt advise) its almost as red as beef is!! I would say it is much closer to duck than to turkey, but a bit more irony and toothsome if that makes sense. Texturewise, it is considerably moister than the dark bits on the turkey because of that gorgeous blanket of fat that keeps it warm when it is on the water. The crispy skin is a lot closer to a porkrind in texture (boo ya!) than turkey skin as well.

Darn you. You're making me hungry, and all I have for lunch is a sandwich

Back