Critique my imperial stout recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
This is the recipient I came up with for my imperial stout this year please give any criticisms.

Grail bill
25# 2row us
1.25# flaked barley
1.25# roasted barley
1.25# chocolate rye
1.25# chocolate malt

3oz northern Brewer 90 min
1oz Willamette 20 min
Whirlfloc 15 min
1oz Willamette 10 min
1oz Willamette 5 min
1oz Willamette 1min

Extended secondary on oaxacan pasilla pepper vanilla beans cocoa nibs and medium+ toasted Tench oak spirals

Using queasy 1275 harvested from a fresh tank at the local microbrewery

Sounds really good to me, although I might back down on the dark malts a bit to let the cocoa nubs shine.

Good luck.

So would you say reduce the specialty malts down to 2# and increase the

So would you say reduce the specialty malts down to 1# and increase the base malt to account for the gravity loss?

Personally, I like a thick and rich imperial stout with some caramel sweetness and maltiness to balance the heavy roast flavors. That being said, I like to use %5 to %10 munich as part of my base and use a fair percentage, maybe 7-10% of crystal malt as well.

So would you say reduce the specialty malts down to 1# and increase the base malt to account for the gravity loss?

Maybe not even that low2.5-3 lbs of dark malt is fine in an RIS (especially including the chocoalte rye which is dehusked and pretty smooth).

As the other poster noted some Munich or Crystal might be nice if you want more malt flavor or caramel, but with everything else going on you may not need it.

Well, personally I find that I like imperial stouts that have a more coffee flavor and finish a little dryer so that is what I'm shooting for. Although I am also trying to stay away from the soy overtones that can come with a lot of tasted malts

So here is the new grain bill I've come up with using the same hoping schedule

23# pale malt 2row us
3# munich20
1# flaked barley
1# roasted barley
1# chocolate malt
1# chocolate rye

So here is the new grain bill I've come up with using the same hoping schedule

23# pale malt 2row us
3# munich20
1# flaked barley
1# roasted barley
1# chocolate male
1# chocolate rye

Be careful with that one! :D

Is this a 5 gal batch? If so, this beer is huge. I think adding a little crystal malt with help with balance. Nothing too crazy. But with 3# of roasted malts, a little sweetness will help balance the astringency from the dark malts. Also, mash low...like 148-149. A beer this big needs to be as fermentable as possible. Especially if you like them dryer. Also, if you prefer them dryer, you may want to sub some base malt for plain table sugar. It will help with fermentability.

you are right i wasnt near my recipe tools when I came up with that grain bill. Here is an updated version of my recipie

18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 76.6 %
12.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 3.2 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.2 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.2 %
12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.2 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.1 %
2.00 oz columbus [14.60 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 8 71.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 7.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 4.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 12 0.5 IBUs