Campden Tablets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weeezle007

Reaction score
I have read multiple sources that recommend Campden for removing Chloramine from tap water. Our city uses this rather than Chorine to treat the water. I added 1/2 a tablet to 5 gallons prior to 60 minute boil. Let it sit for a good thirty minutes before I started brewing. Any opinions on using it?? Anyone else bothered? Proper time before boil? No point..stop using it? Thanks!

I use 1/4 tablet for 5 gallons with 20 minutes left in the boil. However, I do leave my kettle full of water out overnight to remove some chlorine though my water company (with 3 brewers working there) tell me it's not enough chlorine to worry about but the chloramine could cause slight off flavors in lighter beers. I use it as a precaution.

I use a half tablet for a 5-gallon batch, added before the mash. I forget it about half the time, and have never been able to taste the difference.

Latest posts

Back