Chloramine, campden tablets and SeaMonkeys.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
yep. kid got a SeaMonkey set for his birthday. back in july. damn things are still alive. but the water has a pretty nasty layer of scum on the top, time to change it out.

thing is i remember there being a little pouch of powder you put in the water when you started the kit. im assuming its to remove chlorine/chloramines and maybe add some buffering stuff. our water system averages only 2.5ppm of chloramine so not a ton to do to the water.

is there any thing else that could be a problem if i put the campden in the water? or should i even bother? not going to spend money treating it, but since i have stuff on hand for brewing i figure why not.....

You could use rainwater. But are sea monkeys marine or freshwater creatures?

If marine then you'd need salt in the water. I expect there are better sources of information for you than the home brew forum regarding seamonkey upkeep.

Sea monkeys are brine shrimp, sea water creatures that will need sea salt. You can probably use Campden to take out chlorine, but the amount of sea salt is not known. I would recommend looking that up before proceeding. There must be people out there who raise brine shrimp, it is a common fish food, etc.

Speak to a local pet shop they'll know how to make the correct salty water for seafish.

A google search of sea monkeys change water seems to have a myriad of advice.

salt water should be 1.024 to 1.028 on a refractometer or hydrometer which i assume you already own go to a pet store and get some marine salt ... it will be fine.

Sea monkeys are brine shrimp, sea water creatures that will need sea salt. You can probably use Campden to take out chlorine, but the amount of sea salt is not known. I would recommend looking that up before proceeding. There must be people out there who raise brine shrimp, it is a common fish food, etc.

ah, ok then i'm already doing the wrong thing. i assumed they were fresh water since i remember doing it as a kid, and i specifically remember just using the hose. guess i must have not noticed the old folks putting the magic powder in there.

well, i have sea salt in the pantry. but if its any more complicated than that these things are just gonna have to die. they were only "supposed" to survive for like a month or two, its now been 5 going on 6. and the kid insisted on putting it right on the window ledge above my work computer so they could get "good light" which is just a frigging disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
your profile says your location is the " island" .
go dip some ocean for them ?
thanks. but our island is in the middle of the SF bay, its not exactly the cleanest water. i'd be more concerned about using that water and having the whole thing turn green. or actually red, since we just did a month's worth of red tide back in late september/early october. no bueno.

but 1024 to 1028 should be easy enough to do.

thank you sir

Back