1/4 barrel slim keg keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HearthstoneBrewery

Reaction score
Thought I would post some photos of my keggle; I think it is unique. It's a "slim" 1/4 barrel keg (7.75 gallons). I'm using it in a setup that's a clone of jkarp's Countertop Brutus. It is replacing an aluminum turkey fryer pot that I wasn't happy with. All fittings were silver-soldered on.

image-3333620971.jpg

image-290403940.jpg

image-285263336.jpg

image-3967556263.jpg

image-904303515.jpg

image-1098113036.jpg

image-563718106.jpg

image-3237378934.jpg

image-4283841763.jpg

Just curious - Why did you cut off the top ring and add handles instead of using the ones that came with the keg?

Tony3696 said:
Just curious - Why did you cut off the top ring and add handles instead of using the ones that came with the keg?

The diameter of this keg is only ~11", so I cut the entire top off so my immersion chiller would fit. For comparison, most 1/2 barrel keggles have a diameter of 16" or so.

And since it only holds ~7 gallons, the little handles I screwed on are plenty strong.

Nice job on the soldering! Just curious, what fitting is that you soldered to the outside of the keg that the valve screws into? I haven't seen one like that before. Is it specifically made to be a bulkhead or is it something else you repurposed?

crane said:
What's the flat piece of strap that's bent over the top used for?

The temp probe looks like one of auber ins RTDs.

Looks like he is using as indicator for inside volume instead of a sight gauge?

Yes, the flat aluminum bar is my volume marking stick. I marked lines with a scratch awl, and then stamped numbers on it.

The soldered fitting for mounting the ball valve is called a welding spud.
http://brewhardware.com/fittings/120-spuds
The only drawback of this fitting is that it is threaded in one direction only; you can screw a fitting in from the outside, but not from the inside.

The RTD temp sensor is from Auber Instruments (auberins.com). It's part number PT100-L50M14, liquid tight RTD sensor, 2" probe, weldless fitting. I just soldered on the included nut to the outside of the keg, and used the included silicon gasket to screw in the RTD from the outside.

Latest posts

Back