Recipe suggestions based on my inventory?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larso

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a novice brewer(2 kits and about 4 extract brews) and I'm looking for a recipe based on the following left overs:

Biscuit malt 320g
Special B(EBC400) 440g
Crystal Malt (EBC100) 120g
Caramel Malt(EBC145) 500g

40g Liberty 3.6%AA
75g Perle 8.7%AA
25g Amarillo 10.7%AA
80g Chinook 13.6%AA
80g Goldings 5%AA

Safale s-04

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

L

Yeah Samc, I've no extract but I'll buy whatever DME I need based on the recipe.

L

Buy light or pale extract and build off it. Just a stab:

2 cans light extract (3 kgs...or equivalent dry)
~300g of the caramel/crystal combined (maybe half of each? I don't really know EBC codes)
~200g of biscuit

For the hops, I think you could go either Chinook+Amarillo or use Perle+Liberty or EKG. Perle can work for flavor, but I think you need them for bittering. I'd personally favor EKG over Liberty (which are a Hallertauer clone).

I'd probably go:
30g Perle @60
15-30g EKG @ 15
30g EKG @ 1

I'll confess I may have botched traditional vs. metric here.

Thanks McGarnigle I'll probably knock something up along those lines. Can you tell me, is that the normal way I'd substitute DME for LME--2 Canes->3kgs. Also, is that a 5 gallon(20litre) recipe? I'm very new to this, just followed a few recipes like a well trained chimp so far:)
Heres a link to my Goldings, dont think theyre East Kent, can they be used in the same way(with good results)? http://www.homebrewwest.ie/goldings-vacuum-packed-leaf-hops-113-gms-youngs-876-p.asp

Thanks

L

That would be a 5 US gallon recipe, ~19 liters. You could make a smaller, stronger batch with the same ingredeints, but if you want 23 liters, you should add more stuff.

Those hops in the pic are Brambling Cross. I've never used them. I think they or any Goldings would work.

I assumed each can of LME is 1.5 kgs (3.3 lbs.). If you have dry, multiply by .8 (it's more concentrated). So you'd use 2.4 kgs total instead of 3, but this isn't a precise recipe to begin with, so no big deal if it's a little off. Focus on the weight more than the # of cans.

Back