Why can't I be lazy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpjardim

Reaction score
While doing a BIAB on my stovetop I over shot my intended target and was 154F ish. I then turned off the stove top and over the next hour let the temp drift down into sub 150F territory where I initially wanted it to be at the start. It is some much work to raise the temp.
So just a question I postulate.

Why can't I just let the temp float down?

Will the beta amylase be really permanently denatured and therefore not work towards the end of my boil?

or... will they simply be "inactive" at higher temps and "reactivate" <150F thus saving me the step of raising the temp and babysitting it on the stove.

Furthermore, could I just add some amylase at the end of the mash if so?

I suppose I will see if my lager and belgian I just are really sweet when I can drink em.
Anyone?

Denatured is definitely a permanent situation for enzymes. How this plays out in this context, though, is a more interesting question. My understanding is that the temperature during the first 15 minutes of your mash is the most important, so if anything I think you'd be better off starting at your strike temp and then drifting down. It would be interesting to see some side-by-side comparisons of varying amounts of temperature stability.

Denatured is definitely a permanent situation for enzymes. How this plays out in this context, though, is a more interesting question. My understanding is that the temperature during the first 15 minutes of your mash is the most important, so if anything I think you'd be better off starting at your strike temp and then drifting down..

Sound advise.

Latest posts

Back