Conical fermenter vs. bucket/carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firepunk

Reaction score
So i've tried searching the forums several times and can't come up with any good results, but what are the pros/cons of a conical fermenter. I mean, they look cool, obviously, and i imagine that when you get into bigger batches, moving a 15 gallon carboy wouldn't be feasible.

Also, do they make little mini 5-7 gallon conical fermenters?

Thanks

firepunk said:
So i've tried searching the forums several times and can't come up with any good results, but what are the pros/cons of a conical fermenter.
Also, do they make little mini 5-7 gallon conical fermenters?
The primary advantage is how the sloping sides allow the sediment to collect at the very bottom, where it can easily be drained. So instead of racking off the yeast cake and trub, you dump it out a valve on the bottom. This same valve also makes harvesting yeast for future batches very easy. There is normally another valve higher up the side, for draining the beer or drawing samples.

They do make small conicals, and the plastic ones are reasonably affordable. For now though, I'm pretty happy with my buckets.

I think that the size issue is the biggest advantage with a conical. It is dangerous moving 5 gallons in a glass container, 25 gallons is stupid. Plastic is delicate, and therefore disposable. There are also sanke kegs converted to fermenters but they seem to max out at 15 gallons.

Also conicals are cool.

I have a MiniBrew 6.5 and it's f'ing great. No more holding my breath when i'm removing my yeast and slurry, I just put a pitcher under, and twist Valve #2. Plus, bottling with it is insanely easy, and even when it's full, it's lightweight and portable. I sometimes worry about it being so top-heavy though. That's one thing I'll still prefer buckets for, it's much harder to tip an Ale Pail over.

Go here for a better price on a 6.5 if you're interested in going that route. I think i paid 160.00 shipped to my door. Came in 1 day, too.

chriso said:
I have a MiniBrew 6.5 and it's f'ing great. No more holding my breath when i'm removing my yeast and slurry, I just put a pitcher under, and twist Valve #2. Plus, bottling with it is insanely easy, and even when it's full, it's lightweight and portable. I sometimes worry about it being so top-heavy though. That's one thing I'll still prefer buckets for, it's much harder to tip an Ale Pail over.

+1 on the Minibrew conicals... I have a pair of them. Watch out for them on Ebay! I got each of mine for about $110 shipped (separate auctions).

Austin

chriso said:
WHOA. I know where I'm buying MY next one at! Jeebus!

Yeah, I got the first one for that price to check it out, then after using it decided that I needed to start watching for another one. I've noticed that you can sometimes find them for a lower price by searching for both "fermenters" and "fermentors."

Austin

Latest posts

Back