What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking diet Dew. Just ordered replacement SPD shoes for my mountain bike. The other Nikes I had for 10 years just wore out. I'm excited to dust off the bike and go riding this weekend. It's been waaay too long. Anyone else ride?

Agree Yeah Friday!! 😆

So, my Christmas stout has a sharp metallic taste up front. Is that from recipe, process (temp, etc.), or due to equipment, would you guess? I used a stainless boil kettle, which was freshly scrubbed. I have now read that maybe you need to let a stainless steel kettle "cure" (basically oxidize) after scrubbing but that was not my understanding of SS. I have never had this in any other beer.

Normally I would suspect water chemistry first. Maybe the place where you got your RO has a bum filter/membrane setup. What sort of additions did you do? Other than that, grain condition on the roasted barley could also be a factor. I find roasted barley can sometimes contribute a molasses-like flavor and aroma, in addition to the traditional coffee, which I can easily see coming off like paper clips and cocoa puffs.

You're probably not scrubbing your kettle to the point where you need to passivate again. Equipment-based sort of metallic flavor and aroma (think more blood or old pennies) more commonly comes from rust in equipment where you can't see it (in the valves or a plate chiller).

Need coffee.

Nice. I'll be out in the woods this weekend. Looking for one more deer for the season.

Belated welcome back.

Coffee now in the office. No working from home today, but at least it will be a short day of work with an afternoon group meeting at a bowling alley this afternoon.

Drinking diet Dew. Just ordered replacement SPD shoes for my mountain bike. The other Nikes I had for 10 years just wore out. I'm excited to dust off the bike and go riding this weekend. It's been waaay too long. Anyone else ride?

Agree Yeah Friday!! 😆

Hell yeah! We dont have many mountains around here but our hard packed river trails are damn nice. I have been able to get to NM or CO the past couple summers for actual mountain biking and it was insane! :rockin: I am currently bike-less though. I was tired of throwing money into mine so I sold it a few months back. If the deals are good this winter I may pick up a new Giant, or just wait till spring.

Agree Yeah Friday!! ��

Yeah mtb!!! I may have to break out the DH bike this weekend. The dirt here turns to glue after a good rain, which is exactly what we're getting right now! :rockin:

And to keep on topic... Im on the cawfeh

Hell yeah! We dont have many mountains around here but our hard packed river trails are damn nice. I have been able to get to NM or CO the past couple summers for actual mountain biking and it was insane! :rockin: I am currently bike-less though. I was tired of throwing money into mine so I sold it a few months back. If the deals are good this winter I may pick up a new Giant, or just wait till spring.

Heres a few pictures of my old Giant. First one is on the river trails in town, second is riding down keystone this past summer.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418400463.401638.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418400518.772807.jpg

Water and caffeine. Cant wait for 3 beer boxes coming in tonight. 2 from myself in CA and one from Remmy. Also going to get materials to brew Sunday as well as send 3 boxes out monday.

Start drinking immediately. :D

Heres a few pictures of my old Giant. First one is on the river trails in town, second is riding down keystone this past summer.
View attachment 241362View attachment 241363

Hell yeah! I've been all over CO to ride. Fav place... Crested Butte.

I hear you on the flat stuff though. FL really isn't known for much elevation haha.
There are some parks here with some pretty technical singletrack since the hills are short and really steep. Instead of rocks we have roots.

Been looking around at FS bikes probably pick a used one up in the next year or so.

Yeah mtb!!! I may have to break out the DH bike this weekend. The dirt here turns to glue after a good rain, which is exactly what we're getting right now! :rockin:

Noice! I have had that so bad it locks up the entire bike. Mud sticks in the wheel and fork. Where are you at?

Noice! I have had that so bad it locks up the entire bike. Mud sticks in the wheel and fork. Where are you at?

Ooh thats sticky haha. Im in San Diego, so the dirt is more of a hardpack sandstone mix. But the nice thing about that is that when it gets wet it still stays on the ground but grabs your tires better. So your bike gets muddy but not too bad. But you can make turns at mach 1 speeds :D

Wiz Khalifa Paperbond

All you have to do is listen to the first minute to get your day going. And I don't like Wiz.

I hear you on the flat stuff though. FL really isn't known for much elevation haha.
There are some parks here with some pretty technical singletrack since the hills are short and really steep. Instead of rocks we have roots.

Been looking around at FS bikes probably pick a used one up in the next year or so.

Thats what the river trails are like, mostly technical single track, rocks and roots included. I really needed a FS this past summer. We were the only people on the mountain with a hard tail, but we still had a blast. Hell, we were passing most people on $5k+ downhill bikes. I hope to get a FS bike in a few years though. They have pretty good deals on them after summer at the resorts.

Thats what the river trails are like, mostly technical single track, rocks and roots included. I really needed a FS this past summer. We were the only people on the mountain with a hard tail, but we still had a blast. Hell, we were passing most people on $5k+ downhill bikes. I hope to get a FS bike in a few years though. They have pretty good deals on them after summer at the resorts.

If either of you have any questions about FS bikes, or bikes in general feel free to PM me. When I left last year (to be sentanced to a desk job for life haha) I had been working sales/mechanic at a bike shop so have plenty of knowledge if you care to inquire :)

Moved on from the cawfeh to a Dr. Pepper. Counting down the hours til beer:30 at work :mug:

My mosaic dry-hopped Farmhouse ale. Whoever I sent this to, it'll taste like candy in your marthafloccin mouth.

View attachment 241381

Got to go to my mom's in the Bronx tonight. Then Greenwich for the big party. Might have to let SWMBO whip the 6-speed. I am on my way to being smacked way sooner than anticipated.

Mmmm, sounds good. Mosaic and Belgian yeast go great together.

Cola with lunch. I just purchased an electric brewery panel and heating elements. I'm feeling nervous about making such a frivolous purchase but I bet that feeling will go away once I fire that ***** up!

Cola with lunch. I just purchased an electric brewery panel and heating elements. I'm feeling nervous about making such a frivolous purchase but I bet that feeling will go away once I fire that ***** up!

Buying houses is more stressful. You'll be fine. I am smacked. Don't listen to me.

If you insist. ;)
PM on the way.

yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep

Buying houses is more stressful. You'll be fine. I am smacked. Don't listen to me.

I bought a house and it was a breeze. It was the **** that followed that was missed by the inspector that was stressful. I save and save for big purchases then when it comes time to lay down money I freeze up.

I bought a house and it was a breeze. It was the **** that followed that was missed by the inspector that was stressful. I save and save for big purchases then when it comes time to lay down money I freeze up.

Hey, listen. When are you visiting us here in CT to brew? Spend the weekend. I have room here at the house. Can spend a day in NYC too - I grew up in that ****hole. Come on.

My mosaic dry-hopped Farmhouse ale. Whoever I sent this to, it'll taste like candy in your marthafloccin mouth.

View attachment 241381

Got to go to my mom's in the Bronx tonight. Then Greenwich for the big party. Might have to let SWMBO whip the 6-speed. I am on my way to being smacked way sooner than anticipated.

That sounds really good! The color on that thing is dang near perfection. One of my buddies made a mosaic IPA before which I really enjoyed, but adding that into a farmhouse sounds mucho bueno

Those folks with the $5k+ bikes crack me up. It's just like why? My Caloi cost $350 brand new with all the components 17 years ago. The frame is aluminum so everything has been replaced with XT. I'll send a pic later. That thing climbs like a frigging beast.

Hadn't thought about the resort deals, sounds like you could get something new pretty reasonable.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming: drinking Sprite and lemonade with subway lunch.

Back